View Poll Results: Seperation of Church and state: Does religion have any place in politics/gov't today?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 28.57%
  • No.

25 71.43%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Religion & Politics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Morgan
    I think it's better to believe in one's self rather than to believe in something which is as much as possible as the tooth fairy, as for criticising my name, that made me laugh hard. Really hard. Actually it didn't , it made me cry that someone gave you a computer and afforded you the good sense to use it with any degree of intelligence.
    Yeh, that made me feel defeated since I did just post to criticise your name, and not to point out that your opinion is not necessarily the most sensible or correct. Oh wait...

too scarred of fimnalism of dying.
    Are you sure you mean scarred? Go check www.dictionary.com just to make sure you don't mean scared, since you've pointed me there before. Also, check to see if 'fimnalism' is a real word.

Ok, because you made a clear and relevant argument based on empiracal evidence which was not easy refuted and left no other alternative avenues of conjecture to explore.
    It's spelt 'empirical'. If you're going to use complicated words get your spelling right.

it made me cry that someone gave you a computer and afforded you the good sense to use it with any degree of intelligence.
    Cool, I feel the same for you.
    Last edited by Hangman; 17th-October-2004 at 19:19.
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

Fuck no it's the spelling police. Far better to understand than to be able to spell. You maroon. < /sarcasm >

Now, present an argument instead of becoming the emupara version of that annoying paperclip in office documents.

Thanks

My argument was that your opinion is not the 100% correct one that you seem to insist it is. You compared religion to being as possible as the tooth fairy, yet the tooth fairy has been proved to be false, where as religion hasn't. And no, I'm not religious, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna label people "fucking stupid" for what they believe in. Who's to say what's more sensible? Not me for sure, but not you either.

We seem to agree on the topic of this thread though that religion and politics should be seperate.
    Last edited by Hangman; 17th-October-2004 at 22:59.
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!

Thanks

Fuck no it's the spelling police. Far better to understand than to be able to spell. You maroon. < /sarcasm >

Now, present an argument instead of becoming the emupara version of that annoying paperclip in office documents.
    Respect the clip, bitch. Oh yes, and the rest of the board members. I deeply dislike all forms of religion, hell you could call me an atheist version of Glen Benton, but I do not go around insulting or disrespecting those who believe in what they wish to. Only religious hypocrites, extremists/close-minded individuals, and pricks who go about with a "holier than thou" or a missionary-like attitude will taste my offensive anti-religious arguments, otherwise I do not like to provoke people as you seem to enjoy doing.

Edit: Getting back on the subject:

Well, not much argument here, as all the voters have selected No.
    Last edited by Soeru; 17th-October-2004 at 21:27.

Thanks

They should never be meshed. Mason said it right. If it can DEFINITELY be proven to work, and benefit all or even most people, then ok it's ok, but that WON'T happen. Ever.

Thanks

Believing or not believing in religion does not make one strong or weak...

And this topic wasn't meant to be saying whether you believe in religion...or criticizing it.

And finally, they should remain separated for the mere fact that we don't all have the same religion, different interpretations, pretty much all the stuff that was said before.

And finally, Morgan, just shut the fuck up. Nobody cares about what you have to say.

Thanks

If chrisitans and other religious groups are forthright with their opinions, they shouldn't find it so tough when a more sensible and less radical view is presented such as the idea that religion and the worship of a make believe deity is fucking stupid.

Religion is santa claus for grown ups too weak to stand on their own two feet or too scarred of fimnalism of dying. Worm food crying to the "heavens" to be saved. It makes me laugh.
    Well, aren't you an asshole. I do not believe in any gods at all, yet I never insult other religions, it is their choice, just like it is your choice to not believe. The ONLY, I repeat ONLY time I get angry about religious people is the people that go door to door to annoy me, and people that, when finding out you don't believe in God, hold a grudge against you for not believing.

Go to hell.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

Guess Dr. Morgan ran out of cunning arguments... wait a sec, he had one in the first place?

No comments from the people who voted Yes yet... Are you afraid of voicing your opinions? It's not like we're going to bash you if you see the subject differently, so long as you remain polite and give good reasons, so please voice your opinions. I'm really curious to hear what the 2 people have to say.

Thanks
    EP Points

If chrisitans and other religious groups are forthright with their opinions, they shouldn't find it so tough when a more sensible and less radical view is presented such as the idea that religion and the worship of a make believe deity is fucking stupid.

Religion is santa claus for grown ups too weak to stand on their own two feet or too scarred of fimnalism of dying. Worm food crying to the "heavens" to be saved. It makes me laugh.
    Heh. You sir, I truly feel sorry for. I pose this question: When your time comes, old or young, do you know *who* the very last conversation you will have is going to be with? I do.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know I will get criticism for this post, but I stand firm in my own beliefs and can do so because of my freedom granted to me as an American citizen.

I beleive religion should be in government. This nation was founded on Christian values. Our forefathers were of the Christian faith and used it to create a new unprecedented form of government in which the people would have many freedoms such as being able to be represented in teh national government and practicing your own religion. I think the use of Christian values to run the nation has led to the large political power of the USA and its role as a protector of other nations.

Many people do not understand what separation of church and state is. At the time the constitution was created and this clause was made several states either had official state religions and/or supported churches with tax money and limited the rights of persons not affiliated with that particular church. This clause was created to stop that. Separation of Church and State has not been violated since these times IMHO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    In spite of seeing my old thread about religion being suddenly bumped by eviltoastman after months of oblivion, I decided to make this thread. Well, US elections are coming up, but I'm sure we're all tired of discussing which president is better. So here's something new:

Should religion have any place in government/schools/politics?

Discuss... or die...
    Since when in history did we see any good that came from religion in politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    This nation was founded on Christian values.
    Our nation was founded on moral and ethical values. Had it been founded under christian values, there'd be many things different and would be considered mandatory, as well as freedom of religion (as we all know, Bhuddists are really the only practicing religion that had this in their list of "things you can do")

Our forefathers were of the Christian faith and used it to create a new unprecedented form of government in which the people would have many freedoms such as being able to be represented in teh national government and practicing your own religion.
    I disagree. Some, the most powerful of our forefathers were secular.

I think the use of Christian values to run the nation has led to the large political power of the USA and its role as a protector of other nations.
    It's hard to see us as the protector of other nations (the UN seems to do a better job). I would think the use of Greek values has led to our view of the perfect human body, sculpture, army tactics, and so-forth, leading of course to their rise to power, and they certainly held a longer era.

Already the political infrastructure of America is near shambles with conspiracies, lies, and overall hate pointing swords with those who think differently for whatever reason. This is the first time, in a long time (in perhaps even ever[edit])[/edit] that the common man and teenager became very politically active. These people aren't a geological demographic like the South in the Civial War, these people are our own next door neighbors, maybe even our own parents, perhaps.

If you want to see what Christian values are really like, look not too far in the past, perhaps the 50's, in the way American society viewed women and minorities. Our own President, the prominent figure of political power in American Socitey, was hated for his secular, objective decision and roll in the Civil Rights Bill.
    Last edited by EGGO; 18th-October-2004 at 02:49.

Thanks

I believe that religion has no place in politics. Believing in your god is enough, but enforcing rules because they're part of your religion is just plain stupid.
    You are the weenie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EGGO
    Our nation was founded on moral and ethical values.
    I think is this an essential point that shouldn't be missed. Just because Christians hold many moral and ethical values to be important, doesn't make them Christian values rather than purely moral/ethical.

I think it also is important to state that values that were held during the times that the Bible was written aren't necessarily Christian values, but values of the times.

Hopefully that makes good enough sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    I think is this an essential point that shouldn't be missed. Just because Christians hold many moral and ethical values to be important, doesn't make them Christian values rather than purely moral/ethical.

I think it also is important to state that values that were held during the times that the Bible was written aren't necessarily Christian values, but values of the times.

Hopefully that makes good enough sense.
    Pipped me to the post with this one What I said earlier about thou shalt not kill etc. isn't exactly exclusive to Christianity (I'm pretty sure similar rules are in Hinduism etc.) so they could be seen as being founded for common sense.

Also, the values that don't hold value in todays times such as the resting on the Sabbath Day and abortion, have come in modern society for a reason - it's a lot easier and better with these things changed. I doubt Capitilsm could function with everyone resting on Sunday, and abortion methods have improved over the last few thousand years

Also, sorry to Soeru for turning his thread into an argument earlier
    Last edited by Hangman; 18th-October-2004 at 14:59.

Beware Coward!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I know I will get criticism for this post, but I stand firm in my own beliefs and can do so because of my freedom granted to me as an American citizen.

I beleive religion should be in government. This nation was founded on Christian values. Our forefathers were of the Christian faith and used it to create a new unprecedented form of government in which the people would have many freedoms such as being able to be represented in teh national government and practicing your own religion. I think the use of Christian values to run the nation has led to the large political power of the USA and its role as a protector of other nations.

Many people do not understand what separation of church and state is. At the time the constitution was created and this clause was made several states either had official state religions and/or supported churches with tax money and limited the rights of persons not affiliated with that particular church. This clause was created to stop that. Separation of Church and State has not been violated since these times IMHO.
    For some reason, that's exactly what I'd thought I'd hear. Call it a prophecy, if you may.
    Would you support taxes going to the church or the state?