Thread: Need help picking the right computer for me.

Ecocide Guest

Default Need help picking the right computer for me.

Hi, I am getting a new computer in a few weeks and I need some help. I want to customize my computer because I heard it is cheaper to build your own then buying it in stores and plus you get better parts.

This is what I found so far that I liked.
    3.06-GHz Pentium 4 Processor (Though I perfer AMD Athlons)
    200GB hard drive
    500 Something MB Memory
    18-inch LCD monitor flat screen
    128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics
    16X DVD-ROM drive, DVD+RW/+R drive
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse (I have a big room)

Well can you guys give me some info what to add and change. I am also hooking up dsl to the new computer so any advice would be good. Thanks. By the way, if you don't know anything about computers like me, I recommend you not replying.

raffy Guest

If you want an AMD, you could go for a XP 3000+ or 3200+, I'd suggest pairing one of those up w/ an nForce2. 512 is a pretty solid amount of memory to have, if you go for the nForce2, get 2 256 mb sticks because the nForce boards can double the bandwidth w/ a pair of memory. Another note about that is to never just buy a third stick, putting in a third stick will slow the memory back down to regular speed. Depending on how much money your willing to spend on this, I'd suggest going for the Radeon 9800 over the 9700 and make sure it's the Pro version since they are clocked at higher speeds.

Shadowrider Guest

3.06 p4 with hyper threading is sweet.
    (but it's a little bit costly though )
    512 DDR is a great size for RAM, but 1 gb is probably for extreme gamer.
    128 radeon 9700 pro is decent and more than good enough. but if you want to go extreme, go for either 9800 pro or gf FX5900.
    the 18-inch LCD is sweet, but i don't think it's good for gaming.
    what are you using this system for anyway?
    for gaming? normal applications?
    and how much is your budgets? according to your list, you're going to be spending quite a bit

Thanks

So far it looks pretty good...and I would recommend you use SATA harddrive. What motherboard you are using? Cuz it will make a difference. As for sound, I would say a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 will be very good and it should pair up the Creative Inspire 6600 speakers nicely. And what OS are planning to use. I would highly recommend using Windows XP Professional Edition.

They are hot, aren't they??

Dizmatic Guest

Those are some big time systems specs. I agree the motherboard makes all the difference. I would get a top of the line graphic card also.

Shadowrider Guest

astroX, do you have audigy2?
    i was just wondering how much would it be different from me right now using sblive 5.1 with kenwood vh7 hi-fi .
    like i was thinking, you might be able to tell the difference if you were to use with desktop speakers. but with mini hi-fi like this, i don't know. what dya think about the audigy?

Ecocide Guest

I don't really know what motherboard I will get. I plan to spend about $1800-$2300 and the computer will be for gaming.

Shadowrider Guest

msi or gigabyte would be great for mobo.
    though my favorite is abit.

Thanks

Originally posted by Shadowrider
    astroX, do you have audigy2?
    i was just wondering how much would it be different from me right now using sblive 5.1 with kenwood vh7 hi-fi .
    like i was thinking, you might be able to tell the difference if you were to use with desktop speakers. but with mini hi-fi like this, i don't know. what dya think about the audigy?
    Sorry I don't have the audigy 2 but I am using audigy 1 instead.
    I think the audigy series are very good, way better than SB Live 5.1 in my opinion. I used both SB Live and audigy before and I am very impressed with audigy. I would highly recommend upgrade audigy if you have the extra cash(it is not that expensive anyways) from Sound Blaster Live. However don't upgrade from audigy 1 to 2 cuz the difference is very mininal. And since you are using Kenwood hi-fi, it will definitely make a difference to your ears.

As for the favorite motherboard, I would highly recommend Intel or Asus sicne both of them are very reliable. GigaByte, Abit and MSI are very good as well.

They are hot, aren't they??

Shadowrider Guest

Originally posted by Astro X
    Sorry I don't have the audigy 2 but I am using audigy 1 instead.
    I think the audigy series are very good, way better than SB Live 5.1 in my opinion. I used both SB Live and audigy before and I am very impressed with audigy. I would highly recommend upgrade audigy if you have the extra cash(it is not that expensive anyways) from Sound Blaster Live. However don't upgrade from audigy 1 to 2 cuz the difference is very mininal. And since you are using Kenwood hi-fi, it will definitely make a difference to your ears.
    thx man for the tips.
    damn...gotta spend the extra cash now

Dizmatic Guest

I second Asus. Very stable and also has some nice features.