Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RPC error/MSBLAST (Critical update)

USA, the best damm place in the world, always and forever
    Thanks

DONT KILL THE "VIRUS"!!

whats its doing is attacking M$'s servers, its not going to hurt you or your files, it will just make your compy a little slow : )

Dont kill MSBlast! its your buddy

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Thanks

Originally posted by jerome187
    DONT KILL THE "VIRUS"!!

whats its doing is attacking M$'s servers, its not going to hurt you or your files, it will just make your compy a little slow : )

Did you have a hand in making this virus or something?

Anyway, i know what it's going to do, i still didn't want that piece of shit on my system. It does more than make your computer slow, it starts that shutdown thing which most people(namely me) didn't know how to turn off. It fucks about with your IE, and it fucked about with my WMP and various other things too. It's simply an annoyance that Microsoft and i don't need......

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by jerome187
    DONT KILL THE "VIRUS"!!

You realise that it can't do anything against MS's servers, they have already moved them onto a different DNS.

It will also not do anything except:

Restart your computer a lot
    Leave you with a gaping security hole

Great advice Jerome.

Thanks

The creators can/ will send out a fix to point to the new servers. www.windowsupdate.com was kill completly. M$ was too scared so those wimps just pointed to 127.0.0.1 I can believe they winped out like that, a billion doller COMPUTER corperation should be able to secure their servers better against attacks like these. but thats M$ for ya...

and why are you guys taking me seriously anyways? its was just a joke

(use the edit button next time, thnx)
    Last edited by Del_Boy; 18th-August-2003 at 01:28.

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Thanks

We couldn't really tell if you were being serious or not could we? And don't double-post, you could have just edited your previous post...

Thanks
    EP Points

The creators can/ will send out a fix to point to the new servers. www.windowsupdate.com was kill completly
    DDOSing a server ain't funn, doing it via a virus that propogates like wildfire, causing much annoyance and wasting network bandwith is even worse.

M$ was too scared so those wimps just pointed to 127.0.0. I can believe they winped out like that, a billion doller COMPUTER corperation should be able to secure their servers better against attacks like these. but thats M$ for ya...
    Check the Windows update link in any version of Windows, yep it still works cogito ergo sum, Microsoft fixed the problem pretty damn well.

Y'know I think that total Linux advocates such as yourself forget that Linux itself does suffer from security issues (that get patched), the difference being:

You need to have an easily accessible password to root for most to be exploited

You need to not patch, and *most* Linux users are knowledgable enough to know how to do all of the basics well enough,

Thanks

yes yes, linux has many holes, i agree. but when there is a problem someone fixes it REALLY fast. now when you have a problem with windows how long dose it take for a fix? sometime you never get one...

i am really dissapointed that M$ took the easy way out and changed their DNS, they should be more than able to handle a threat like this with something more than just killing windowsupdate.com completly.

i used windows from 3.1 to XP until reciently, and i just dont see how M$ can get away with selling software that it so poorly written and supported. when most people encounter a problem with windows and they call tech support, what is the very first told to them? "reboot the computer". thats how they fix everything, use the computer and save your work every 5 minutes until it crashes, then reboot and start again...

M$ really should take some of the billions of dollars they have and hire some good coders to fix these kinds of things, but they dont.

www.PacificMods.com

Thanks

Actually considering the virus was made only <B><I>after</I></B> microsoft had released a patch for the fix they did extremely well. By the way Microsoft could have the best servers in the world and they still wouldn't help against a mass DOS. You are showing your ignorance in what has to be done of servers to keep working under a DOS attack, it's very expensive and time consuming to have the entire network switch to that mode.

Thanks

i still think there wimps....

lol

www.PacificMods.com

Thanks

hmph.....i fixed this thing a few times now because i keep reconnecting looking for a file. it gives me an error like "cannot verify the integrity of update.inf. please make sure the cryptographic service is running"....i checked and it is. i searched for update.inf and there were no results. my guess is that im missing it due to a previous virus (the same ione that disabled my windows update)

Thanks
    EP Points

Dudecuda, go into:
    C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot2

And either rename the Catroot2 folder (IMPORTANT Catroot2 and not Catroot)
    or Delete Catroot2 folder or it's contents.

Your update will now work.

blamesociety Guest

hmm, i dunno if i was infected or not, when i restarted my computer, it would start up, but then restart a second time, and then it would not restart anymore, i did all the steps and found no msblast in any of the folders, except for one msblast in the regestry editing, and deleted it - i tried connecting to the internet but the data wouldn't be sent, im running on 56k, but the received would slowly go up every 10 seconds, just wondering if that was a virus or whatever

Thanks

MsBlast just made the news. It seems we can expect a new wave of viruses. Everyone shoud get a firewall.

Thanks
    EP Points

except for one msblast in the regestry editing, and deleted it
    Repeat the steps to ensure you never missed anything. Install then install a firewall.

MsBlast just made the news.
    It was on the news a week or so back