Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux "flavors"...?

Thanks

Ugh! If anyone knows some place where I can download Debian, other than the official site (I just can't figure out that damn jig-thingy), please tell me... The Mandrake FTP is being mean too, so I'm trying out Red Hat for now... It's the only one that works among those I'm interested in...

Xzyx987X Guest

Bump ^
    No one ever anwsered my question.
    Originally posted by Xzyx987X
    Hmm... I've been considering making my pc multiboot with linux myself lately. The two things that I'd most like to have from a linux build are good support for programming and good support for windows emulation (I run a server on irc and I'd like to keep it up while I'm using linux without using entirely different software which would mess up peoples queues and stuff.) What do you guys reccomend?

USA, the best damm place in the world, always and forever
    Thanks

I suggest canning your windows IRC server and either finding a linux version of it or use a different IRC server.

there are TONS of different IRC server progs for linux, check out sourceforge.net or search on google for more info

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Xzyx987X Guest

I'm aware of that but that's not the point, I'm probobly going to be running linux 95% of the time, and keep windows for developing/testing windows based programs. But during that 5% I want to keep my irc server online without having a completely different queue pool. I know windows emulation is possible on linux for stuff like this, but is there any version of linux in particular that would get me better performance or more compatibility in my windows emulation, or is there no difference?

Thanks

theres no difference

just make sure you have the latest version of wine (thats what the windows emu is called)

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Thanks

Okay here's the problem:

Wine isn't a perfect emulator. Though not a problem to normal users when your testing apps it's hard to know if the crash was your fault or Wine. Also it has no DX support so if you make games your stuck.

However there is a way around but it requires you to have a Win2k Terminal Server then you could open the Win2k terminal in Linux and then you'd be running both 2k and Linux. But Win2k Terminal Server is expensive.

Thanks

for games check out WineX, it works great for lots of windows games. I'm using it for war craft 3 right now

www.PacificMods.com

Thanks
    EP Points

Back to flavours of linux, I was going to put on SUSE 9 from the DVD. Well my shit heap of a PC wont boot from my DVD so it seems!!!!!

I am now going to put gentoo on instead and have it dual booting with win2k. The install looks fun ^.^; oh boy!

But for anybody interested in what is probably the best linux distro check www.gentoo.org

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Yes but developers use the DX Debug versions and they certainly won't work with an emulator.

And isn't the best Linux distrib the one you compile and collect the packages for yourself

Thanks

gentoo is a awsome ditro too.

only use it if you want to learn lots about linux!

www.PacificMods.com

Thanks
    EP Points

Bloop...Im goin to install gentoo from mandrake soon so I have something to do while its compiling

Thanks
    EP Points

I booted from my gentoo cd1 today. The splash screen failes to load.

When I open the install.html using links "links /mnt/cdrom/install.html" I think. It loaded up. But links makes it look really crap and the text doesnt wrap so you have to scroll left and right .

do you know a way I can get links to display the pages in a more readable form? or even an alternate to links.
    Last edited by Norgus; 27th-November-2003 at 14:22.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by Norgus
    I booted from my gentoo cd1 today. The splash screen failes to load.

When I open the install.html using links "links /mnt/cdrom/install.html" I think. It loaded up. But links makes it look really crap and the text doesnt wrap so you have to scroll left and right .

do you know a way I can get links to display the pages in a more readable form? or even an alternate to links.
    Hzmm....strange..it worked with out any scrolling when I booted off the cd. Your best bet would be to copy the installation manual onto another computer so that you can refer back to it at any time, that what I did and I had a Win 98 bootdisk (No DOS in XP ) and the Mandrake disc with me too, just incase i needed to restore me MBR

Xzyx987X Guest

Originally posted by Lord Riff Raff
    Okay here's the problem:

Wine isn't a perfect emulator. Though not a problem to normal users when your testing apps it's hard to know if the crash was your fault or Wine. Also it has no DX support so if you make games your stuck.

However there is a way around but it requires you to have a Win2k Terminal Server then you could open the Win2k terminal in Linux and then you'd be running both 2k and Linux. But Win2k Terminal Server is expensive.
    So how excately do I go about running a 2k terminal server from withing linux? Being able to run any windows program from inside linux with no emulation is the best thing I've heard since I started considering installing it. I mean, I have so many windows apps, and I may not be able to find satisfactory linux replacements for all of them, but with something like this that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks

Well you need 2 computers, one to run Win2k Terminal Server with a network set between them. Linux can then "dial in" using
    http://www.rdesktop.org/ . I haven't done it myself but I know i can be done, however WIn2k Terminal Server is expensive to memory.