Thread: Overclocking Plz Help

RandomHer0 Guest

Default Overclocking Plz Help

Hey guys first off im new here and glad to be part of this community I just recently this xmas received a good computer for a good price imo maybe not to yous. I had a 600mhz celeron comp with 128 mb ram and 10 gb hardrive, the thing was a pos anyways I got this new computer here are the specs:

Intel Celeron 2.7Ghz
    256 DDR SDRAM yes I gotta get more
    40GB Hardrive I do think I need more space atleast 40 more
    A bad 64mb video card intel excelerated graphics yes I'm gonna get a new video card anywyas this is the question.

I want to overclock the cpu on the comp if I can what is probably the best speed to set it at without worrying about over heating? I just want a bit not much

Thanks

Don't overclock it unless you can afford to replace it.

Thanks
    EP Points

You have to know exactly what you are doing to overclock. You could very easily screw your whole mobo up if you don't know what you are doing. I wouldn't try it. It is better off to just buy a faster processor since they aren't as expensive as they used to be.

Thanks

well aside from the usual warnings, i will give you advice in terms of once you do start. DO NOT go over 5-10% of the regular speed. it's not much of a difference, but you can still burn out your shit really fast by overclocking. if you have a VERY good cooling system, then you shouldn't have a big BIG deal about it, but otherwise, DO NOT even bother. like me, i have 450mHz processor. i vcan't overclock it because it's name brand but i wouldn't because i only have one fan in this entire thing. so unless you REALLY are sure that your cooling system can handle the load and you won't try to go al crazy and shit, then i WOULD NOT advise that you do this.[/babble]

Thanks
    EP Points

I suggest that firstly ull read _many_ docs about overclocking.
    More - better.

Thanks

"Don't overclock it unless you can afford to replace it."

Take that comment to heart!

YOu have a 2.7ghz celey which is a good processor you really don't need to overclock it and when and if you do you only get small performances.

When you overclock there are many ways of doing it, the safest way I find is to just overclock the cpu alone and not the whole system, how you do this is by lowering your fsb and raising you cpu mulitiplier. I would stay away from fsb overclocking and cpu chip mod or volt mods to overclock.

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Thanks
    EP Points

As you would be stuck with Integrated graphics until you replace them, then the graphics chipset will be the bottleneck in most games.

Agent Smith Guest

I agree with everyone here, and I would like to point out that clock rate isnt the only factor on your processor. Other important things include your bus rate and cache, and if you read stuff about overclocking, youll find those factors (the bus rate anyways) also need to change for overclocking, and that its generally better to have a pentium or athlon over a celeron or duron. Even if you could overclock it it prolly wont help, as was stated, the processor isnt your bottleneck. In a Celeron machine for a good price, you prolly dont have the neccesary cooling, have slower Harddisk, Celerons are prolly at a lower bus speed, the RAM is slower, etc etc. So, dont worry about overclocking, unless you definately want something faster, which at 2.7GHz, you dont need.

Thanks

one of the many points that i failed to make. 2.7 gHz? and why do you want to overclock again? it is so very redundant to even seriously consider it. i would seriously just let it go and chill with what you have. that is a pretty good processor you have there for that "pretty good price" don't worry about overclocking.