Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What has happened to EP?

Thanks

Default What has happened to EP?

I'm sure there have been several of threads like this. When i first came to EP there was one or two ads on the site to get to the roms. Now only the forum hasn't yet been infested with these damn spyware-planting ads that are EVERYWHERE on the site.
    Oh yeah, the downloads dont work, i'm sure the server is down temporarily or some other lame excuse, but seriously.
    I'm sure this site costs a lot of money and blaha blaha blaha, however i don't see it cost a lot more than a few bucks a month for webhost and private persons running the server.
    That does not require 229752037532 ads.

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks
    EP Points

Where are the 500$. Where are they?

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Verranicus
    I haven't encountered any spyware.
    The sites that EP link too are very dodgy. I'm almost 100% positive they spread some sort of spyware.

Even if not, that's not the point with this thread, the point was that there are too many ads for the page to look attractive and useful.

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    Where are the 500$. Where are they?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Thanks

The Ad's haven't changed the usefulness of the site. And they are fairly non-intrusive. They don't talk, they don't pop-over, they don't try to take temporary control of your browser so you can't close them.

I've never gotten any spyware (or even attempted spyware) from EP, although there used to be people complaining of such things.

I say, if MasJ feels the ad's are the way to go, well...he owes me nothing.
    My Trade List (Updated: Jan 24, 2007). Now Taking Requests.

This is teh Intarwebz...We care not for Copyrights!

Thanks
    EP Points

Moved to Comments/Suggestions/Broken Links/Jobs.

Thanks

Something needs to pay for emuparadise. That something is the ads. If you have a problem with adware and spyware, they have adaware and spybot. There has been issues before with random ad companies with emuparadise switching their policy around and forcing themselves through emuparadise and disabling emuparadise and such ads have been removed and there is always a possibility of such comming back. If you feel there is adware and such, remove it, give your evidence to masj and he'll remove it if your proof is lagitamate.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's times like this I'm glad I only visit the forums and tracker. Seriously, EP's great and all, but as far as ROMS go there's tons of places with more ROMS and higher D/L speeds than EP.

Thanks
    EP Points

And they do also offer free ISOs and the likes. Oh, wait, they don't. (Except for a few minor places.)

Thanks

Times like these, I am glad that Polobunny recommended me this Adblock Firefox extension. I can't do my browsing without it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Evans
    And they do also offer free ISOs and the likes. Oh, wait, they don't. (Except for a few minor places.)
    I did say ROMS, right? I know EP has ISO's. And that a major plus. But so does DC++, mIRC, BitTorrent, and eMule. I guess it just doesn't concern me much since I don't bother with PS1 stuff anymore. Only PS2 and Dreamcast (occasionally). All I'm saying is that I find that there are better alternatives for ROMS than EP. That's why I only use the forums (to talk) and the tracker (to upload/download PS2 stuff).

Really, I commend MasJ. He's done an excellent job with EP. But when I want ROMS (usually only CPS1-CPS2 and Neo-Geo stuff) I go elsewhere. I seriously haven't been to any part of EP aside from the forums, tracker, and Emulation Extras sections in years.

As far as the ads go, yeah, I've noticed them. They can be bothersome at times. Some more than others (especially the full-page ad when the tracker is loading). But I know how much servers can cost, and with the amount of traffic EP gets, I think MasJ is justified putting whatever kinds of ads he wants on the site. Anything to keep it running.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrit
    I'm sure there have been several of threads like this. When i first came to EP there was one or two ads on the site to get to the roms. Now only the forum hasn't yet been infested with these damn spyware-planting ads that are EVERYWHERE on the site.
    Oh yeah, the downloads dont work, i'm sure the server is down temporarily or some other lame excuse, but seriously.
    I'm sure this site costs a lot of money and blaha blaha blaha, however i don't see it cost a lot more than a few bucks a month for webhost and private persons running the server.
    That does not require 229752037532 ads.
    Ifrit, if you're getting spyware ads then please next time you get them, please take a screenshot of the ad and also note the URL that it shows in the browser when it pops up, and put both items over here. I'll get in touch with whichever sponsor it is that is pulling a fast one and ask them to remove the ads. We don't have any spyware/adware/popups on EP, it's just banner ads, and some page interstitials (which show up every 30 mins.). That's about it.
    Also, for the record, it costs over $1000 every month for us to run EP (after the new servers we got recently..).

Seraphis Cain, I hope we can satisfy your need for speed with our new servers. Though nothing very good, but we can offer a minimun 25kb/s on each download from now. That is something big considering we have so many ISO's (and they're the most downloaded on the site...).
    Also, I hope you will enjoy the new MAME project that we're going to undertake here to provide the entire MAME set, updated with descriptions and screenshots. =]

Thanks
    EP Points

Ooooh, now see, a MAME set (with descriptions and screenshots, no less) would be VERY awesome. Good luck with that, MasJ!