Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korn on the Cob!

Thanks

Default Korn on the Cob!

Has anyone listened to Korn's new songs, i thought i might aswell try and listen cos i've got f*** all else to do, i've heard about 10 and everyone of them is about as good as i am a fuckin' Monkey!!

Has anyone else heard this pop-tastic dribble.

Thanks

Bands like Korn have always seemed trendy and boring to me, why would their new material be any different?

Thanks

Fair enough, although the first album was o.k.

Thanks

So, Korn got back together eh? How unfortunate.

Thanks

who did they get to replace Head?

Don't tell me Fieldy is handling all the 7 string duties...

Thanks

I never knew they even split up, I just know that they went even more mainstream than before recently. Supposedly they've covered a Morbid Angel song. Though I'm positive it'll be a disgusting cover, I hope it can expose mainstream/mallcore kids to bands like Morbid Angel, who deserve way more recognition and praise than Korn. Such is the life of an underground musician.

Thanks

ugh, people like you make me sick Soeru.

"OH, YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BAND? THAT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE TOO HARDC0RE FOR YOU!"

ever think maybe there's a reason bands like Korn get recognition?

that shit with Nightwish firing their singer for getting too commercial is so bullshit by the way. maybe some of these bands could do with a little exposure.

Thanks

Korn fans are hilarious. Especially when trying to make sense.

Korn's new songs are crap.

Thanks

I saw their new video an hour ago, and it was crappy. Long live their debut, I say.

that shit with Nightwish firing their singer for getting too commercial is so bullshit by the way.
    "Too commercial"? That's new, I thought she was kicked because she was a bitch that didn't care at all for the band.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CheezyMadman
    ugh, people like you make me sick Soeru.

"OH, YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BAND? THAT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE TOO HARDC0RE FOR YOU!"

ever think maybe there's a reason bands like Korn get recognition?

that shit with Nightwish firing their singer for getting too commercial is so bullshit by the way. maybe some of these bands could do with a little exposure.
    I'm not the elitist type, I just don't like music that is boring, overexposed and trendy. I always spread the word about underground bands because they care more about creating music, but mainstream listeners are unaware that what they listen to is not completely pure music, but rather an effort to obtain profit and popularity. As Quorthon of the band Bathory once said: if that's all that the band wants to do then I guess there's no problem with it, just don't dare to claim they play music from the heart.

You know why Korn get recognition? Because they make mainstream music that all the trendy mallcore kids can relate to, hence they sell more than bands that care more about making music than money. It's Slipknot/Korn kids that adopt the "OMG your not cool enough if you don't like ____" attitude. I approach people with mainstream interests in a pacific manner, in most cases when Korn/Slipknot/Cradle of Filth kiddies bother to listen to what I have in my CD player they end up liking it way more than any of those bands. Music is always out there, but sometimes you have to dig deeper to find something you passionately like, Korn got old and most people from the early 90's outgrew them.

Edit: I'm more into metal, grind and some hardcore than anything else obviously, but I also appreciate underground artists that have nothing to do with extreme music. Look at Pearl Jam, they've been playing for so long and they only got over exposed in their early days because of the grunge trend, but they continued to play the music that they have a passion for. Most mainstream listeners will say "Whoa, Pearl Jam? They're still around?", but their concerts still get packed and sell out quickly because of the fans that don't care for glittery MTV-friendly music.

I don't even like hip hop, and yet I can appreciate an artist like Immortal Technique because they do only that: art.

Some people just need to realize that the only good music out there is not the one that's currently hip. To all the MTV-generation kids: turn off your radio and TV for once and just sit down and listen to the music. I don't listen to unpopular music to be different, but because I have an honest and passionate appreciation for the music. I can't appreciate a band if all they want to do is make money by fooling listeners.
    Last edited by Soeru; 29th-November-2005 at 18:55.

Thanks

Well, I'm not sure what mallcore is, but I just want to let you know that my first exposure to Korn was Issues, and I loved it. I really could care less about the people in a band, normally, unless they are either a) Extremely talented (Dime, EVH, etc.) or b) A vital part of that band (Diamond Dave leavin VH killed the band).

Now that that is out of the way, I just wanted to say that whatever mallcore is, it sure as hell doesn't apply to me. I probably have just as diverse (if not moreso) taste in music as you do, soeru. I move in phases, it seems.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for soem power rock/metal, so I throw in some maiden. But 10 minutes after 7th son of a 7th son is done playing, I could be in a mellow mood and put some Dave Matthews on. who knows.

Right now, I'm listening to a Real Dead One.

by the way, do you know of any kind of script to put a Now Playing thing in either my sig here, or my AIM profile? kind of like yours there, but i could care less about specs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CheezyMadman
    Well, I'm not sure what mallcore is, but I just want to let you know that my first exposure to Korn was Issues, and I loved it. I really could care less about the people in a band, normally, unless they are either a) Extremely talented (Dime, EVH, etc.) or b) A vital part of that band (Diamond Dave leavin VH killed the band).

Now that that is out of the way, I just wanted to say that whatever mallcore is, it sure as hell doesn't apply to me. I probably have just as diverse (if not moreso) taste in music as you do, soeru. I move in phases, it seems.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for soem power rock/metal, so I throw in some maiden. But 10 minutes after 7th son of a 7th son is done playing, I could be in a mellow mood and put some Dave Matthews on. who knows.

Right now, I'm listening to a Real Dead One.

by the way, do you know of any kind of script to put a Now Playing thing in either my sig here, or my AIM profile? kind of like yours there, but i could care less about specs.
    My first exposure to Korn was Issues and their debut as well. At the time I thought it was cool, I also liked Limp Bizkit and Slipknot back then but then I started to discover bands like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Manowar, and eventually some of the more extreme scenes of metal. I really think metal is very diverse, I can listen to something fast and agressive but then something melodic or something groovy, and it can still be considered metal. I do take breaks from blastbeats and double-bassdrum madness you know.

I still listen to rock but it's very hard for me to come across bands that I'll like. Usually because I'm severely bored of the "hard rock, drugs, sex, and alcohol with an attitude" thing(ie: Guns n' Roses, Velvet Revolver, but Motorhead and Manowar are exceptions), the music just got dull and old on me, and I really couldn't give a flying fuck how tough or cool the bandmembers are, I care more about soulful music with a lot of meaning to get the mind going. Intricacy and technicality is a big in death metal nowadays, but I also like straightforward stuff. Not to say that I don't like GnR but I've kind listened to them and ACDC throughout my early youth so I've kind of outgrown it.

I still like Danzig and I'm getting to like Black Label Society, but for the most part I can't really find any non-pop rock bands that I like. Not to say that I like any pop rock bands either too, I don't think I need to mention what I think of the rock that gets played on MTV.

Other bands that I really like(that don't play metal): Heroes del Silencio, Led Zeppelin, Loquillo, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, older Incubus, Chris Isaak, some folk music, some classical(like Vivaldi), and I like the sound of slow instrumental jazz but I can't really name any specific artists I like. My musical interest isn't very varied, but that does not mean I can't enjoy absolutely anything else. Getting to like bands as chaotic and atonal as Wormed and Decrepit Birth have actually helped me open my mind to all forms of music. If one can open their mind enough to appreciate something as "un-musical" as Cryptopsy, surely they can learn to enjoy any other form of music out there. I just don't go looking for completely alien forms of music as I have no idea where to start, but whenever someone can point me to something completely original I can give it a shot(often with skepticism depending on who told me about them and how he/she decribed them, but I still check it out).

I never called you mallcore (in fact I doubted you were mallcore to begin with). Bands like Korn, Chimaira(to an extent), Slipknot, Disturbed, Static X, Deftones, and pretty much any other Nu metal(meaning: radio-friendly hard rock) band that gets played at a Hot Topic store are aimed at just that: angsty pop/goth teenagers. What bothers me the most about the music is that the bands are exploiting the sounds of other bands by watering the music down to sell. That's disrespectful for the bands that busted their asses writing good stuff and for the listeners, as they're being deceived since the real metal is completely underground.

What I have is called SigX, it's a little app that runs in the background. You can customize whatever you want on it to show only the last song played(with almost any media player) if you don't want to show PC specs. If you have Audioscrobbler, there are scripts that show information from your AS page such as the last songs played or even your weekly charts, I tried to find out how to get those but I never found it and I just didn't bother with it. There's something similar to SigX that runs on Java, but I forgot the name of it. It consumed way too many resources though, made my comp run like a snail on weed.

Thanks

If you want undergound check out Interlock.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightrake
    If you want undergound check out Interlock.
    Wow, some description. Listening to a sample at their site. It said "Official site for the industrial metal band" underneath the link in Google, and it's exactly what I was expecting. Don't really like it so far... just sounds like industrial nu metal. Sounds pretty mallcore, as they have the kind of nu metal style riffing and vocals(mallcore doesn't necessarily mean it's popular).

Now don't get me wrong, I can enjoy electronic music(not exactly industrial) but I don't like electronic aspects such as synths/samplers in metal at all. Industrial rock/metal is something I just don't like, especially not the ones that lean so much towards nu metal. I do like Rammstein however, not as much as I used to though.

I'm definately sure Rammstein and Nine Inch Nails fans will like it though, exactly who it's aimed for.
    Last edited by Soeru; 30th-November-2005 at 00:53.

Thanks

Wow, we agree more than I thought. I guess I had you figured wrong, Soeru. My mistake.

I don't know about comparing NIN and Rammstein, tho. Language barriers aside, they just don't seem that alike to me. NIN's new stuff DOES lean towards industrial a lot more than before, tho.

I will google SigX, any idea if it works with AIM? I like the Now Playing features of MSN, but none of my friends use MSN, so it's kinda pointless.