Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me a firewall.

Thanks

If all you're looking for is basic protection then stick with the winXP one, it does a good job at it with minimal app control if you need. One could argue you don't even need the firewall if you're behind a router, but good to have none the less.

If you're a control freak like me and want per application control then you can try out one of the free ones.
    Old Sygate is good, though plain. I'm satisfied with it, it's functional but it's not as pretty as ZoneAlarm, yah, I said it, I like pretty windows. Plus it's not updated anymore, so..
    ZoneAlarm was good, easy to use, but I had bad problems with it a while back with shareaza and emule. Though there have been a few updates since then I'm unsure if they have fixed or improved those problems since I now use Sygate.
    Kerio is another free firewall that I've heard good things about, but I've never personally used. I'll be giving it a try soon now that Sygate is no longer updated.

Woodman - what version of sygate is that you posted? I have v5.6 build 2808 on my comp.

Thanks
    EP Points

A router firewall is great, though it's not user friendly at all most of the time.

Thanks

well if you use a router your a bit more protected but windows firewall is not something to stick with

i suggest the firewall that comes with norton antivirus not system works since system works gives you alot of crap you dont need which slow you down a bit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate X
    well if you use a router your a bit more protected but windows firewall is not something to stick with

i suggest the firewall that comes with norton antivirus not system works since system works gives you alot of crap you dont need which slow you down a bit
    Hmm....but I have AVG Free Edition AV installed which is working great, and I really don't like installing Norton again coz it makes my PC go uber slow Should I get AVG Firewall Edition and *cough*crack*cough it

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

ya systemworks really slows you down but just antivirus doesnt slow you down as much