Try using Flycast, it is fork of Reicast, it is being used in Retroarch.
Reicast has not been releasing updates due to the Emu drama the lead developer had with Flycast and Libretro. Their official statement about the future of the Reicast development can be read here: https://github.com/reicast/reicast-emulator/issues/1928

You don't need a DC BIOS for Flycast, but if you want to play NAOMI/Atomiswave games you must have corresponding BIOS files.
There are save states, I haven't tested the emulator too much. The emulator still seems buggy, but it is being updated daily. Watch out for setting the texture scaling to high and the windscreen fixes are buggy with cutscenes and FMV's.

Other than this one, there is Redream, I have not tested the emulator a lot, mainly since one needs to pay 5$ to unlock the internal resolution scaling, probably one of the best Dreamcast emulators out there, and likely worth the 5$ if you want to play a lot of DC games, or if you don't care for high-definition rendering you can try their non paid version.

Then NullDC, great emulator, but very outdated. The same lead developer as Reicast, but as you said their website is problematic, I can't even tell where to download a windows version there

Lastly Demul,great emulator also give this one a shot.