Thread: I wanna capture Digital Video...

Thanks

Default I wanna capture Digital Video...

I recently bought a Medion 9069n camera. This is a cheap rip-off of the Samsung VP-D11 (or VP-D15 not sure), it looks the same and has the same specs. The camera works great, no problem.

I however found out that I needed a Firewire card to connect my computer to my camera to record everything, and write it on a cd-r. So I went out and got one. I installed it without problems.

When I plug in the camera to the computer through firewire, my windows 98 detects it, BUT it puts it in "other devices" as "unknown device". I can't use my camera in any video capturing programs, including Ulead Videostudio 6.0 which came with the firewire card, even though the manual says it should work. The manual says that when I plug in the camera, my camera should be registered as an "image device" or "controller for audio and games".

Please help, as I'm going slightly insane over this. I just want my miniDV on my computer as an AVI or MPEG file.

Specs:

Athalon 1800+
    256MB RAM
    Windows 98 (First Edition)
    DirectX 9.0a
    E-tech Firewire card

Thx in advance to anyone who can help.

bluebommerr Guest

hmmm, interesting problem......i'm just taking a whack at it but why not try going to control panel: add new hardware. see if that helps.

Thanks
    EP Points

OK, this has happened to me several times with my soundcard and modem, but I've always fixed it by doing the following...

Right click on 'My Computer', and choose 'Properties'. Select 'Device Manager', and go to 'Other Devices', then double click on 'Unknown Device'. Insert your driver disk (if you don't have one, you'll need to have downloaded the correct set of drivers and unzipped them), then go to 'Driver', and choose 'Update Driver...'. Follow the instructions until prompted to navigate to where your drivers are located. Do so, and follow the rest of the instructions from there. The camera should work fine now, although a restart may be in order, so reboot and give it a whirl.

Shadowrider Guest

yea try updating the driver

Thanks

Thanks guys, but unfortunately none of your suggestions worked. The problem was that I needed Windows 98 SE... Yeah, I know it sounds stupid, but the first edition of windows 98 can't detect DV devices...

Oh well, at least I got it now.