Thread: A very small irc client?

Thanks

Default A very small irc client?

I looking for a very small irc client that someone could use from a very limited windows environment, running XP with no admin privledges whatsoever, and that is closely monitored by parents for anything being installed. I would have to be a very small .exe file, which could be sent as an email attachment and stored on a 1.44MB floppy. I would look myself, but I don't run windows myself, and wouldn't be able to test it anyway. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    EP Points

How big is mIRC? I thought it was pretty small. There are also many others, but I don't know how big they are. I'm just giving you some options to look around at.
    Polaris, Excursion,Trillian (can also do MSN Messenger),X-chat

I would look around at these and see how big they are. If they are too big I would try looking throught the archive and see if there are any unneccesary files you can remove like sound files.

Thanks
    EP Points

Miranda IM is pretty small and the zip dl doesn't need installing -
    http://www.miranda-im.org/release/download.php

Thanks

http://www.tinyirc.net/

Thats the smallest client I can think of. It's really really good for a sub 100kb prog.

Thanks

Hey, tinyirc is a nice program. Now I won't have to download that huge net-based irc client from Dynasty all the tme. Thanks

Ace Guest

Originally posted by knowitman
    How big is mIRC? I thought it was pretty small. There are also many others, but I don't know how big they are. I'm just giving you some options to look around at.
    Polaris, Excursion,Trillian (can also do MSN Messenger),X-chat

I would look around at these and see how big they are. If they are too big I would try looking throught the archive and see if there are any unneccesary files you can remove like sound files.
    Heh.... funny, but wrong. Excursion and Polaris are both mIRC. They're just scripts. all files mIRC needs are 1.78MB which would be too big for a floppy. Trillian is rubbish for IRC, needs installing, leaves traces, and as for small, I don't really call 18.8 MB small.

X-Chat also needs installing, and isn't small at all, 1.7M. So NONE of all the clients you listed here ACTUALLY HAVE ONE OF THE REQEUSTED "features".

Anyway, go for tinyIRC.

Thanks

ur folks don't want u chatting? also if u have ur own computer running something other than windows why not just get an irc client for it. theres tons of irc stuff for *n*x(linux,unix,etx.).

Ace Guest

Originally posted by madcrow
    ur folks don't want u chatting? also if u have ur own computer running something other than windows why not just get an irc client for it. theres tons of irc stuff for *n*x(linux,unix,etx.).
    Probally for a friend.