Thread: Linux Question

Malign Alumnus Guest

Default Linux Question

Ok so I got my new computer which runs on XP and what not so I want to clean up my old computer. I was wondering if I should format and reinstall Windows 95 or prefferably install a Linux OS. Now I have never used Linux before but I've heard thats it's good. I was wondering if anyone knew of an OS that i could download either from linuxiso or some website and could install on the old computer. The specs are:

-Pentium 1
    -150Mhz
    -32mb RAM
    -2GB Hard Disk
    -Floppy Drive (only boots to this)
    -CD Rom Drive

Thanks in advance!

Malign Alumnus Guest

..or maybe i should use freeBSD...either way someone please help

Ace Guest

Default Re: Linux Question

Originally posted by Malign Alumnus
    Ok so I got my new computer which runs on XP and what not so I want to clean up my old computer. I was wondering if I should format and reinstall Windows 95 or prefferably install a Linux OS. Now I have never used Linux before but I've heard thats it's good. I was wondering if anyone knew of an OS that i could download either from linuxiso or some website and could install on the old computer. The specs are:

-Pentium 1
    -150Mhz
    -32mb RAM
    -2GB Hard Disk
    -Floppy Drive (only boots to this)
    -CD Rom Drive

Thanks in advance!
    Could try Debian if you're really into it But it's not the most userfriendly os, but great if you want to set up a hardware firewall

Thanks

Probably the best way to go about it is go on a downloading spree so you can try several types of operating systems.

I tried Mandrake Redhat, then switched to Slackware. Slack is my favourite, and I've settled on it. Just try a few, see what you like.

FreeBSD is nice too, I like the way it's organized. I just wish my 'net card would work...

E-Ninja Guest

If you want to give linux a try, try getting Knoppix live. Basically download it and burn to a cd. When you go to start up your computer make sure your cd is in and set it so your cd rom drives boots first, you'll have linux w/o having to uninstall.

Shadowrider Guest

distrowatch
    the above site tells you many reviews on which distro is rated to be "user-friendly", "compact", "fast", "getting-ur-hands-dirty" , etc.
    freebsd is nice but don't think it's user-friendly for first-time user.
    for user-friendly: try mandrake or suse
    for reliable and easy-maintenance: gentoo or debian