View Poll Results: Does dark matter exist?!

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no other explanation

36 62.07%
  • NO! NO!!!! I SAY!!

4 6.90%
  • Ugh, not another stinking thread about....

11 18.97%
  • I am Gospel or one of his followers. My abhorrent comment has been posted

7 12.07%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dark Matter & Antimatter. OH THE CHAOS!

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Here's something for you to ponder. The universe is expanding exponentially (I think, can't remember exact rate) So, everything is being stretched and pulled farther apart.

lol, ahhh.. gospel, I never know what to expect from you Keep it up.
    Last edited by mushindo; 21st-June-2004 at 06:15.
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

It's not really "infinite".

The universe is still feeling the effects of the "Horrendous Space Kablooie!" [Big Bang, lameasses]. So, the matter that was once compacted into say the size of an atom, then spread apart by the Big Bang...is well, still spreading.

[Insert possibly incorrect high school science mumblings here. Hey, go to hell. I was too busy getting laid than studying for some lame ass class.] This leaves the universe with the options of expanding until the energy is used up, in which *poof* everything is out.

Or, expanding to a certain extent then, *yipes* collapsing in on itself again. The collasping theory I think was mention in the idea of the "cosmic computer", in which that when the universe finally caves inward on itself, the computer will have enough power to then simulate all of time (past, present, and future)...and thus the er, hell afterlife, I suppose.

Someone correct the many many, holes in the logic above. And for great justice, post something dumb. All these big words make my face hurt.

Thanks

yeah but the space the nothing is infinite, that makes no sense, how can something even nothingness go on into infinity?
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Thanks

If there is nothing, what is there to stop something Astrophysics is extremely complicated and mainly hypothetical. Big steps are being made in understanding things, but alas not many people care about space even though it would improve everything on earth and beyond. Imagine great expanses of resources and energy There is one thing anyone who studies science agrees upon and that is that nothing is certain.

Thanks

Originally posted by Gospel
    I think I put the big words in bold, and edited the post to make it [adjective].

If it wasn't 2 AM, I could have probably made it funnier.

I rule.

EDIT:
    Best post ever. I thought he said he wasn't posting here again? Good thing he lied.

About the expansion thing, that boggles my mind, as well as things like a 'beginning' and 'end' of time. Well, assuming there is an infinite nothingness, the somethingness that is that was spread outward during the big bang is still moving. We know this, because galaxies are spreading out, in all directions around us. Which makes us wonder about the fate of the universe... will it continue to spread, or stop, or possibly come back in. Assuming the big bang was one force one time, the universe should have a 'critical density', which if we exceed, eventually expansion should halt, and we collapse. If we equal it, eventually is should stop, if we are below, the universe should continue to drift apart. What's ironic, however, is that recent observations have lead us to believe the universes expansion may be accelerating, which is interesting indeed, as some force out there would be repulsive and great than the gravitational force the universe would be centered about (the location of the big bang, presumably). But we don't really know what's out past the edge, or where the edge is, as we can only 'see' about 15 billion light years out, as that is the age of the universe, so light from objects out past that far wouldn't reach us yet. The universe is clearly not infinite (physicaly anyway), the night sky is dark, so there clearly was a beginning, if not, we would have an infinite number of stars in the night sky, hence no darkness. Hope this helps.
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watchin the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But its not sane..
    I just want some one to say to me
    Ill always be there when you wake
    Ya know Id like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and Ill have it made
    And I dont understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that theres no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away but its a great escape..
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain...

Thanks

Stephen Hawkins talks funny.

Thanks

Here it is on a plate for you guys. I study Physics, so i had to learn something about this.

The big bang was triggered by either
    A: 2 opposing atoms colliding or
    B: a piece of matter, which is compressed like a black hole.
    A: A matter atom (Hydrogen) and an anti-matter atom (it isn't known what sort of atom this could have been)
    When the 2 collided, they released an absolutely asounding amount of energy. We all know that you can convert matter to energy, but the energy released by the 2 atoms was enough to reverse this.
    Or B: The matter became hot enough to break free of its own gravitational field, and broke loose with all its energy. Both are plausable theorys.
    The energy from either of these theorys actually CREATED matter and anti-matter atoms, which collided in a fashion much like Nuclear Fission. The heat from all these collisions created more atoms, but it also created electricty, or electrons. For some reason, the matter atoms were in greater numbers then the anti-matter atoms (it is therized that matter takes less energy to create, but we can't be sure, cause we can't make it)

The heat in the big bang created what we know as "Plasma", a jumble of electrons and raw atoms. As it cooled, the "Plasma" began to take form, with hydrogen the first element to be formed (Atom with one electron surrounding it) It is believed that the energy from the big bang is still in effect, but so far away, there is no reason to search for it. It would take millions of years for the light of the universe being created now to be transmitted to the Earth.

There is a drawback to such a force. The Universe suffers the same problem as a gas. Compressed, it is nice and warm. Expanded, and it begins to become colder. If the heat where the universe is being created becomes to cold, there is a possibility that the Universe will collapse onto itself. This may mean that there was a Universe before ours, which came to the same fate. Scary stuff, idn't it?

Most of this has probably been posted before, but i couldn't be arsed to look, so you have to read it all again!

:Edit: Ok, so maybe i could have been arsed to read the other posts. Stranger, outside of the Universe NOTHING exists. There is no space, there is no time, everything ceases to exist. There is nothing. Nada, Zot, Zilch, Zero. When the Big Bang occured (i should have said this at the start! D'oh!!) Time began, light existed, and there was life. The Big Bang actually only lasted about .000000012 Seconds, so it would have been good firworks. Not bad work though, something that worked for .000000012 Seconds created enough energy to effectively create time, space and matter. I wouldn't mind doing that...

Oh, yeah, on another note, this is my longest post ever. Go me...at least it was on a topic which interested me...
    Last edited by Dark Neighbour; 21st-June-2004 at 10:46.

Thanks

this could be cool for space travel and the like. isn't that what the enterprise is supposed to use an antimatter drive?

Thanks

You're all crazy, we all know Dark Matter was made up by SquareSoft for the sake of Magus. DUH!

Thanks

Originally posted by Dark Neighbour
    Here it is on a plate for you guys. I study Physics, so i had to learn something about this.

A: A matter atom (Hydrogen) and an anti-matter atom (it isn't known what sort of atom this could have been)
    When the 2 collided, they released an absolutely asounding amount of energy. We all know that you can convert matter to energy, but the energy released by the 2 atoms was enough to reverse this.
    Or B: The matter became hot enough to break free of its own gravitational field, and broke loose with all its energy. Both are plausable theorys.
    The energy from either of these theorys actually CREATED matter and anti-matter atoms, which collided in a fashion much like Nuclear Fission. The heat from all these collisions created more atoms, but it also created electricty, or electrons. For some reason, the matter atoms were in greater numbers then the anti-matter atoms (it is therized that matter takes less energy to create, but we can't be sure, cause we can't make it)

The heat in the big bang created what we know as "Plasma", a jumble of electrons and raw atoms. As it cooled, the "Plasma" began to take form, with hydrogen the first element to be formed (Atom with one electron surrounding it) It is believed that the energy from the big bang is still in effect, but so far away, there is no reason to search for it. It would take millions of years for the light of the universe being created now to be transmitted to the Earth.

There is a drawback to such a force. The Universe suffers the same problem as a gas. Compressed, it is nice and warm. Expanded, and it begins to become colder. If the heat where the universe is being created becomes to cold, there is a possibility that the Universe will collapse onto itself. This may mean that there was a Universe before ours, which came to the same fate. Scary stuff, idn't it?

Most of this has probably been posted before, but i couldn't be arsed to look, so you have to read it all again!

:Edit: Ok, so maybe i could have been arsed to read the other posts. Stranger, outside of the Universe NOTHING exists. There is no space, there is no time, everything ceases to exist. There is nothing. Nada, Zot, Zilch, Zero. When the Big Bang occured (i should have said this at the start! D'oh!!) Time began, light existed, and there was life. The Big Bang actually only lasted about .000000012 Seconds, so it would have been good firworks. Not bad work though, something that worked for .000000012 Seconds created enough energy to effectively create time, space and matter. I wouldn't mind doing that...

Oh, yeah, on another note, this is my longest post ever. Go me...at least it was on a topic which interested me...
    No, Time exists regardless of space...

Originally posted by [ForeverZero]
    You're all crazy, we all know Dark Matter was made up by SquareSoft for the sake of Magus. DUH!
    No, it was made up by Enix for the sake of Freedan...

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by mushindo
    Well, here's a more detailed explanation

The world's largest scientific research facility-Switzerland's Conseil Europ�en pour la Recherche Nucl�aire (CERN)-recently succeeded in producing the first particles of antimatter. Antimatter is identical
    to physical matter except that it is composed of particles whose electric charges are opposite to those found in normal matter.
    Antimatter is highly unstable. It ignites when it comes in contact with absolutely anything . . . even air. Until recently antimatter has been created only in very small amounts (a few atoms at a time). But CERN has now broken ground on its new Antiproton Decelerator-an advanced antimatter production facility that promises to create antimatter in much larger quantities. When a particle and its antiparticle meet, they annihilate each other and their entire mass is converted into pure energy, making it 100% efficient.
    Isn't that an excerpt from Angels and Demons by Dan Brown ? I remember it because my girlfriend made me read it =P. But I do believe anti matter exists, not so much about how useful it is though. For one thing, I can tell you, even our current fuel, nuclear bombs etc. are 100% efficient, it's just that we don't know how to tap into all the energy properly. The energy does come out 100%.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and just for the record, the Primeval Atom, which exploded in the big bang was not supposed to be a tiny atom, it's just called Atom, it was supposed to be a huge sphere of hydrogen, which was 100 million kilometers in radius. It obviously underwent repeated fusion during the explosion and all the other elements were formed.
    Last edited by MasJ; 22nd-June-2004 at 04:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by MasJ
    ...in the big bang was not supposed to be a tiny atom, it's just called Atom, it was supposed to be a huge...
    Pronounce Atom and Adam. Hmmmm....
    Last edited by Sprung; 22nd-June-2004 at 04:41.

Thanks

Yeah, most of it is from Angels and Demons Though, it's not where I first heard of it. Since I had to book on my computer it was the easiest way for an explanation

Thanks

Originally posted by Dark Neighbour

Time was NOT created nor did it start with the big bang, it is thought to be merely a change from antimatter and something known as reversed time or something... (doesn't remember well). Matter and time were supposed to already be there... but "inside-out"(that's how the mag explained it). Anyone who reads the New Scientist magazine will know what I'm talking about. Here's an interesting tidbit: the universe is actually cone shaped. I also read about this on that magazine.

Thanks

Crazy stuff, but how credible is a magazine? I'd like to see some stuff backing up your argument, I love that sort of thing, 'beginning of time' and stuff, it boggles my mind. I'm not saying I disagree or anything, I'm unenlightened, and don't want to think the wrong thing.
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watchin the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But its not sane..
    I just want some one to say to me
    Ill always be there when you wake
    Ya know Id like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and Ill have it made
    And I dont understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that theres no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away but its a great escape..
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain...