Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux vs. Windows...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malikman
    i dunno if igured i'd try freebsd
    Definately, it's a wonderful operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    Exactly. I have to use Windows because most programs I use (and are vital for my work) don't run correctly under Linux Wine emulator and there are no replacement programs for those compiled in Linux.
    Yeah, I suffer the same fate. For some reason using command line SPICE isn't appealing to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Akito
    Or, like I stated before, virutal machines. I've got XP loaded on my machine, but run virutal copies of XP, 2000, 98 and 95.
    But the performance hit doesn't make that a wonderful option, except for testing in multiple environments.

Thanks

I tried Linux Mandrake 10 for about 1 week but didn't keep it for 2 reason
    The first one is: Well...I couldn't get working my modem(stupid 56k Conexant one...The only drivers for these modems arent free...)
    And the second reason, is that my sound card wouldn't work, I had to type something in the console everytime I booted mandrake...

And there's a third one, but not really that good of a reason...
    I've a p2 so, its not always running fine with KDE(didn't try other ones)

I liked it, but without the net, well...I wouldn't use my pc anyway, so I just formated and returned to the good old WinXP.

As for Windows, I dont really any opinion...The only one I like is XP, cause I cant get to make Win 98 or 2000 working right on my comp. 'cause of my graphics card and my stupid modem(again...)
    I tried everything I could but didn't work...

Anyway, WinXP's great, I didn't get ANY problem with it.
    Its simple, I Install XP, install the drivers for my graphics card and voila!
    Nothing else to do, everything works like a charm even though I've a pretty bad comp...

That's what I think about these 2 OS.
    And neither of them are better than the other, its the user that makes the difference!
    Last edited by Knightriders; 29th-January-2005 at 04:58.

Thanks

Yeah, linux and modems are a big no. KDE and old computers are also a big no no. I'm sure you just needed to add the sound driver module loading to some startup script (not sure where they are on linux).

Thanks

For the sound card, yeah that's exactly that, I tryed with an online guide that had been done for my sound card, but I couldn't get it work...
    And I tried when I had my onboard video card(4meg...I HATE onboard graphics cards!) but now I've a(not so good) pci geforce mx 4, that could speed the things up a little like it did with xp, but I dont really want do redownload(I dont have the CDs anymore) of mandrake and well...I've 56k so I think its understandable!

Just 3 months and I'll have a new comp, so I might try it again if I have a new modem that aint a winmodem.

Thanks

Free beer, free speech, ah freedom. Love linux, thinking of getting rid of my win partition someday, I'll still have roms, UT, and quake to play though

Thanks

Man. I was one of the biggest linux advocates this site has ever seen. I stopped using Linux. After configuring my system down to... everything, I decided that I don't need to be using linux. I don't get enough spyware for it to have made a difference, and I don't crash out enough either. It was just a different thing that was slowing me down when I was using Photoshop7 (Yes I had it running in linux). So I'm back to WinXP.

Thanks

I'm mainly just really cheap I like the open source "movement" going on, but for most people linux is still not perfect for a desktop. Even I'm typing this out on windows, but one day I should switch. It does what I need minus a few games, I'll miss HL2, never did want to pay for the commercial version of cedega. Maybe the free CVS release has it working now but I'm way too noobish to tweak it that much

Thanks

Well, here's the thing. Without more users linux won't get more commercial support. Without commercial support it is harder to get more users. Ideology is one reason to use it. Also, I just enjoy using FreeBSD MUCH more than windows. There's a good feeling about not pirating all of your software. I think windows would be a lot less attractive without so much piracy. Seriously, 200 bucks for M$ office? Fuck that.

Thanks

Yeah, I know what you mean, without more support, there will be less users, and without those users, we get less support. The opensource scene still seems to be getting better. But yeah like you say, it would great if the gnu/*nix systems got more commerical support, doesn't generate revenue for games at the moment, but there's always hope. I have felt uneasy about emulating win stuff on linux too, not like anyone knows, but we want more native stuff. Either way, it shows there is still a market out there, although small at the moment

Thanks

Yeah, linux is gaining momentum though. It's hilarious as every single OS other than windoze is unix based, yet windoze is on top of all. I wonder if SUN open sourcing Solaris will bring more users away from windoze. As far as I see it, the more diverse things become, companies will have no choice but to write PORTABLE apps that they can get to run on any system without too much hassle. And that would mean untying them from shitty things like M$ IE.

Thanks

I'm using the distro Ubuntu right now, and I love it. Everything about it is brilliant, and I've used Linux for some time now. However, Linux alone just doesn't cut it. I need photoshop on this PC, along with some other things that only Windows can do for me. I'm thinking of buying an iMac G5 as soon as I get money so I can get rid of this piece of crap. I like both OSes, but they can't be used for the same stuff.

Thanks

I use Linux and FreeBSD. Linux on the desktop. Never really needed anything from Windows except to play games, but I dual boot for that. The only windows apps I use are Direct Connect and Photoshop and I've gotten both running smoothly (DC++ in wine and Photoshop in Crossover).

The desktop advances over the past two years for Linux has been great to watch. If OOo can force the OASIS file format, we could see the end of the MS Office file format dominance.... wouldn't that be nice....

Yay Linux!

Thanks
    EP Points

How I yearn for people to stop insisting on bullshit MS office formats...

oh would this be a good point to be a pedantic shit and say that what you generally use is a distribution of GNU/linux..?
    Linux being just the kernal after all.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Norgus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know Linux is the kernal. I use Ubuntu.

Thanks

My main gripe with Linux is that despite the fact that it is much better for the computer scientist types, it gets the butt end of emulation. This is annoying. Then again, being able to do things you shouldn't be able to do on a computer is one of the many advantages of using a slightly retarded operating system.

As far as I'm concerned, Linux and all those other UNIX-like systems isn't really the final answer operating systems; it's too cryptic for most people who aren't going to spend more than an hour a day in front of a computer. I think Mac OS X looks promising and it's definitely a step in the right direction (as far as usability goes), but it has its own flaws, too. One thing Apple did well with OS X is take the positive points of the UNIX-like systems (free software friendly, command-line usability inside a GUI). But I am impressed by Apple's innovations. They try to run a machine like it would in Hollywood. You click something and it goes 'voom'. I've heard they use 3D textures in the graphics hardware for their windows, which is why a lot of their effects are so smooth and everything. That's cool, but it's not for me. It's just impractical for me to use a one-button mouse anyway. I am kind of scared of Apple fanboys, too. And since I hated Mac OS 1-9 it'd be kind of hypocritical for me to use it right now.

OpenSolaris seems promising, too. Kind of esoteric just like Macs, but the 3D window system is also innovative.

Keep an eye out for AmigaOS 4. If they had preemptive multitasking in the 80's, think about what they might do soon! Unfortunately, it seems that there isn't much in it right now.

I run Gentoo on my box. It's fast, it has a really good code tree, it is just a combination of things that makes it so happy for me. And it has a really good community behind it, always coming up with good fresh ideas. Then again, it also makes my Pentium 4 eat through my battery in 40 minutes if I don't step it down.