Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast

Thread: what have you read recently?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't 1984 by George Orwell?
    *eternal shame* Yep you're right, my mistake ^^; read it in between and...*and I pretend to be a SF fan :p, that kinda mistakes shouldn't be alowed--->sepuku*
    With a ppc: c64, mame, atari/amiga, nintendo, sega, nec and psx, all in your pocket.

PSX games on your pocket pc : www.fpsece.net

Thanks

gravity rainbow its a good book but some slow

Thanks

Alright, that's it. No more of those shitty posts in this thread. Either have a real discussion about a book somebody else has posted about, or actually tell us something about the book you've read or are reading. "Book X by Author Y" is not acceptable. If you just want to tell somebody the title of a book you're reading, do it in the Hang Out. Any unsuitable posts from now on will be promptly deleted.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks
    EP Points

last week i read Sid Vicious Rock N' Roll Star by Malcolm Butt. it was really a great book. im usually not a fan of non-fiction, but i really learned a lot that i hadn't known about sid. it really went into his violent tendencies that i didn't know about. also, im starting Lord of The Flies (i can't remember the author). i have to read it for english class, but ive actually always wanted to read it. hopefully it'll be good...

Thanks

The book I read recently is Mech Warrior Ghost of Winter.It has a great plot in the story.The best part in the story is when mechwarrior Sturm Kintaro rided this claimed haunted mech called vixen and then it was a ghost story.But later in the story he became a mechwarrior and freed this planted from pirates.

Thanks

At the moment, I am reading John Ralston Saul's "Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West".

Now, before anyone calls him a communist, he does not support communism. He equally delivers intellectual boardsides against Right and Left.

A very interesting read for someone who believes totally in man's ability to be rational (me)

Here are a few samples:

"The rational elites have pushed the causes of modernization and efficiency with such assurance and persistence that any failure must be blamed on having gone neither far or fast enough." pg 257, Part 2: Scenes From A System That's Doesn't Work, CHapter 10: In the Service of the Greater Self.

"Our inexhaustible supply of facts has unexpectedly made everything true and false. The power of expertise has obscured the causes of both success and failure." pg175.

"Immediate answers and absolute truths are the daily bread of rational civilisation. No attempt is made to identify recurring patterns for fear that memory may be reconstituted." pg 175

And finally:

"The principles of Erasmus and Richelieu have been carried to such a preposterous extreme that the encouragement of such retention (of information, basically the practice of secrecy) has become a religion of constipation." pg 287, Chapter 12: The Art of the Secret.

Thanks

Bernard Shaw~ Man and Superman
    The conversations between Don Juan and the Devil are incredible....otherwise i wasn;t all that impressed.But then again,i'm not very familiar with the don juan theme and its history....didn't even bother to read the revolutionary code book at the end.

Currently listening to:
    Isis ~ Panopticon [9/10]
    The Walkmen ~ Bows & Arrows [8.5/10]
    The Shins ~ Oh, Inverted World
    Explosions In The Sky ~ How Strange, Innocence
    Caribou ~ The Milk of Human Kindness
    J�hann J�hannsson ~ Vir�ulegu Forsetar

Thanks

Reading "the divine comedies" by Tom Holt, also "Gaurds Gaurds" by Terry Pratchett ... again
    Last edited by afterburner; 31st-May-2005 at 09:37.
    I am da geekness

Open Source rules

Thanks

At school.. this year I've read: Animal Farm(again), Pride & Prejudice, MacBeth, most of Hamlet, ummm... that's it.

Thanks

I've recently read some of Orson Scott Card's Work, which is absolutly brilliant. Unfortunatly, that's about the extent of my Science Fiction experience. I also enjoy Fantasy books. I am currently reading The First King Of Shannara, which is good, but the writing still is a little bland at times... If anyone would recomend some books to read after this, I would be much appreciative.

Thanks

The only 2 books I had to read for English 1C were We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda and Perfectly Legal (about US tax system).

Thanks

The voyage of the jerle shannara series by terry brooks is pretty good, also his magic kingdom for sale ... sold series, not sure of the exact name... also the knight of the word series. His first books were pretty bland but they were written about 20-30 years ago so ...
    I am da geekness

Open Source rules

Mikey_ Guest

reading a book for my preperatory communications class called code breaker about a lady who's a cryptographer who gets embroiled in a whole mess of trouble when she poses as a secretary for a big software engineering company and steals some codes from a password protected computer. those codes are vital to the future success of the company and the ceo does whatever (literally) it takes to get the codes back, even if it means having his men kill. one of the people involved in the investigation ends up leaving the investigation on bad terms and ends up aiding the main character. it starts off slow at 1st but turns out to be very good. would make a great movie too. i'm more than half way through the book right now cuz i was behind (the class is basically done with the book) and i'm kicking myself for not keeping up with it.

Thanks

now iam reading books on accouting ans comerce as i was a science student but joined comerce.
    it is painful u know....

Thanks

hopefully i'll be reading Blue Like Jazz or East of Eden soon.

get on your bikes and ride!