Thread: DC++ Guide Part II: For Windows XP Users Only

Thanks
    EP Points

Default DC++ Guide Part II: For Windows XP Users Only

DC++ Guide Part II: For Windows XP Users Only

This guide will show you XP users how to set up DC++ to use the UPnP feature, as well as how to run DC++ in Active Mode even though you are using a router/firewall or both at the same time. Active Mode allows you to connect to other active users and passive users. With Passive Mode selected you cannot connect to other passive users, only active users.

Section 1. Configuring DC++ to use UPnP

Question: How can I configure DC++ to use UPnP?
    Answer: Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is only currently supported on the Windows XP platform. In addition, you also need UPnP capable hardware (typically a broadband router using NAT traversal). If you meet both of these requirements, setting up DC++ is normally a simple process. UPnP support is only in DC++ 0.4033 and later.

To enable UPnP on DC++, open the Settings panel, select Advanced, scroll down to the bottom, enable Use UPnP Control. Restart DC++. If your UPnP system is setup correctly, DC++ will now automatically create the required port mappings for DC++ to operate in Active Mode. It will also detect your external IP address, and switch into Active Mode.

Troubleshooting:

If you are having trouble getting this all to work (or see messages in the DC++ log like "Failed To Create Port Mappings"), and you are sure you meet the minimum requirements mentioned above, download the UPnP diagnostic tool. You can get it here. This tool will tell you what network interfaces on your computer support UPnP. If none of your network interfaces are reporting UPnP capabilities, try the following suggestions:

Ensure your UPnP hardware has the UPnP service switched on (some routers default to off), consult your manufacturers documentation.

Ensure these Windows UPnP services (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services) are running: Universal Plug and Play Device Host and SSDP Discovery Service. Both of these XP services should be set to Automatic startup and Started status.

Switch on the UPnP User Interface. To do this: Open My Network Places, and in the Network Tasks panel, select Show icons for networked UPnP devices.

If UPnP is working, you should see your routers name in My Network Places:

Also, when you go to: Start | Settings | Network Connections, you should see Internet Connection listed under the Internet Gateway category:

Reboot both your PC and your UPnP device (router).

If you do not see your router as a network device in My Network Places after several minutes, UPnPTest will fail to create an UPnP mapping to the router, resulting in something looking like: "INFO: Adapter #0 - 192.168.8.17 - UPnP Disabled". Make sure the windows firewall or your third party firewall is not blocking UPnP packets.

Windows XP Firewall:

Go to Control Panels -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced Tab -> Security Logging -> Settings. Enable Log Dropped Packets. The log file is located at C:\WINDOWS\pfirewall.log. If you see any packets being dropped with the port 1900 or 2869, the the firewall is misconfigured and is preventing UPnP from working.

Third Party Firewall:

Checking this setting varies widely between firewalls. Most decent firewalls have some sort of logging function, where one can see what the firewall is blocking. Look for "UPnP" or ports 1900 and 2869.

At the time of this writing Norton Internet Security 2005 blocks UPnP and does not log it. Read Section 3. Setting up Norton Personal Firewall with UPnP on how to unblock.

If the diagnostic tool is now still not reporting any UPnP devices, you should start considering more drastic actions like upgrading your router firmware, as many routers have UPnP implementation bugs.

Section 2. Setting up Norton Personal Firewall with port forwarding

Assuming you have not used DC++ on your computer before, start up DC++. You should see a dialog like the one below:

Make sure to change this setting to Always allow connections to this program on all ports.

Next, you will see the dialog box below:

Make sure to change this setting to Permit and check Always use this action.

Now DC++ should be set up.

If you did not get these popups, then you may need to manually configure the firewall to allow DC++ traffic. To do this, read the instructions below.

Open up the main screen for the firewall and click Configure.

Go to the Program Control tab.

Click on the Add button. Navigate to where DC++ is located your computer (typically C:\Program Files\DC++). You will then be prompted with the following dialog:

Make sure Permit is selected and hit OK.

Next, Norton will prompt you to which category DC++ should belong in. Select File Transfer.

You should now see DCPlusPlus.exe listed.

DC++ should now work!

Section 3. Setting up Norton Personal Firewall with UPnP

Open up Norton, click on Personal Firewall, click on Configure.

Next, click on the Advanced tab. Then click on General.

Scroll to the bottom of the list and select the rule: UPNP Port 1900 Block Rule.

Click on Modify. Change the rule from Block to Permit. Click OK. After a minute, you should now see your router appear in My Network Places. If you do not, also permit the rule: UPNP Port 5000 Block Rule.

You're all set!!! Now you should be able to use DC++ in Active Mode rather than Passive Mode.
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 25th-March-2005 at 15:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

Nice little guide. Stickyied.

Thanks

You forgot something: The UPnP service might be disabled on XP. For me it was disabled by default.

So here are the instructions on how to enable XP to start UPnP service if it seems that the UPnP doesn't work:

1. Open Control Panel (From Start-menu)
    2. Toggle to classic interface if not yet in it
    3. Open Administrative Tools
    4. Select Services
    5. Look for Universal Plug & Play host service
    6. If its start-up status is not automatic, right click on it and select Properties
    7. Change start-up type to Automatic
    8. Click Apply
    9. Click on Enable
    10. Select Ok and you're set
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    You forgot something: The UPnP service might be disabled on XP. For me it was disabled by default.
    I covered that in the beginning section under Troubleshooting...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akuma
    I covered that in the beginning section under Troubleshooting...
    Oh, LOL, I tried to look for that but I still missed it Okay, you're perfect
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Nice little guide, mate, very useful.

I'm still having a little issue though. I am pretty sure it's my DSL modem, I already forwarded ports 1900 and 5000(both TCP and UDP each), but I have the feeling that DC++ uses other ports as well. Anybody know of any others? The modem's internal firewall is turned off, but some ports/services won't work, even with no software firewall, until I manually enable them(had to do this for eMule and BT for example).

So yeah, all I need is a list of all other ports DC++ uses and I'll be all set, can anyone help me out? I have all those services enabled and set to automatic, WinXP firewall off, and have NIS 2005 configured correctly, so I know I know it must be a port that I'm missing. Thanks in advance, and rep goes to Akuma for this wonderful thread.

Edit: Whoa, nevermind, I managed to fix this. I forwarded the ports 1025 through 30000 both TCP and UDP, used by DC++ but that didn't work. Then I put my true IP address in the active mode thingy and active mode works like a charm now.
    Last edited by Soeru; 17th-April-2005 at 01:58.

Thanks

I've read this and tried to get it to work, but the diagnostic tool always fails on parts 7 & 8. Can I just know what the ports that DC++ uses as I will do the port mapping manually?
    Last edited by Epsilon; 21st-April-2005 at 01:22.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aclors
    I've read this and tried to get it to work, but the diagnostic tool always fails on parts 7 & 8. Can I just know what the ports that DC++ uses as I will do the port mapping manually?
    I also failed the last 2 tests, in fact I failed all of the tests except for the first(OS Support), but I can use DC++ perfectly.

Guess what... you don't need UPnP enabled to use DC++ in active mode! UPnP ports are a major security hole that even the FBI warned users about!
    Disable UPnP completely with a little program called Universal Plug n' Pray and block/stealth all the UPnP ports on your firewall. All I had to do was specify my IP in that little box in the connection settings and everything works normal in active mode, no ports specified in DC++ either.

More info here.
    Edit: Some mod/admin please make an announcement out of this, having these ports open can be a serious problem.
    Last edited by Soeru; 26th-April-2005 at 02:54.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    [B]More info here.
    Edit: Some mod/admin please make an announcement out of this, having these ports open can be a serious problem.
    I second that, you don't need upnp for DC++, unless you're lazy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I also failed the last 2 tests, in fact I failed all of the tests except for the first(OS Support), but I can use DC++ perfectly.

Guess what... you don't need UPnP enabled to use DC++ in active mode! UPnP ports are a major security hole that even the FBI warned users about!
    Disable UPnP completely with a little program called Universal Plug n' Pray and block/stealth all the UPnP ports on your firewall. All I had to do was specify my IP in that little box in the connection settings and everything works normal in active mode, no ports specified in DC++ either.

More info here.
    Um, I dunno bout all that. The articles posted on that site are a few years old, so I assume Microsoft has had updates since then to rectify those issues with UPnP. And besides, if a hacker was trying to get into my PC, Norton Internet Security would scream bloody murder and block them

Thanks

More info here.
    This has not worked for me. I don't know what is wrong. Can someone please help me? It would help to know what the global port ranges and the base ports for DC++ are.
    :\

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't care for DC++ anymore. It's too much of a hassle to try to get it to work.
    Last edited by Epsilon; 30th-April-2005 at 18:37.

Thanks

So why spam? This thread is just a guide for those who want to use DC++.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Agreed, if you wish to voice your opinion of DC++ make a thread about it please. This thread now is only for inquiries if people are still having difficulties