Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: removing echelon intro

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow
    In general I would say that it's a lame emulator that won't play a game simply because an intro is present? I mean, if C64 emulators worked like that, there'd be no C64 games that could be played on emulators
    In general I would say you knew nothing about how the emulator works, and are IMO being totally disrespectful.

And in case you hadn't noticed the C64 isn't half as complex as a Dreamcast, and also by virtue of being older has more information available with regards to loaders.

This Echelon issue isn't simply an intro - it goes deeper than that in most cases..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow
    In general I would say that it's a lame emulator that won't play a game simply because an intro is present? I mean, if C64 emulators worked like that, there'd be no C64 games that could be played on emulators
    you don't know how emulators work or how complex they are. Besides, Chankast is still in the alpha stage, not even beta. You can't expect it to play flawlessly already and start calling it lame

It emulates the actual DC system. and the system is supposed to run pure DC games. Not hacked crap with stupid intros made by attention whores programmers (does anybody really care who dumps games? NO! Just make it playable dammit)

Read my above post, the intro does screw up a few games on the actual console too. Booting a DC isn't just as simple as it seems. The emulator probably looks for DC boot info in the 1ST_READ.BIN file but if it encounters the intro crap first, it may lock up. The programmers of Chankast will have to find a way for the booting to bypass the intros (the intros are not all the same, so there's no generic command to give the emulator to bypass them)

I have no idea how emulators are made and programmed, but it's surely way too complex for me or you to understand, but what I wrote above is pure speculation to make it sound more understandable for laymen like us.
    Give me what I want or face destruction........IN JAPANESE!

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh, relax Del_Boy. Madcrow's Dreamcast emulator is going to be so much better than Chankast. It will play everything ever released for DC, plus perfectly toast a bagel.

What? Madcrow isn't making his own emulator? Oh.

EDIT: Good God. Myst. Echelon was the first group EVER to crack the uncrackable DC copy scheme. Hell yeah I'd want my name attached.

I swear, sometimes you people are idiots.
    Last edited by Sprung; 23rd-December-2005 at 16:41.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    I swear, sometimes you people are idiots.
    aw

It's just a personal dislike I have against intros. I didn't like them during the PS1 days, I do not like them now. If they wanted to be known, put the info in the .nfo file. Intros are usually too loud and ugly.
    Give me what I want or face destruction........IN JAPANESE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0
    all the tools you'll be needing (and MORE!) I've uploaded here, in a ZIP file.
    The file doesn't seem to include the Bootpatcher program. Where can I get it, or if it is inside the zip, what is it named?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hijuda
    The file doesn't seem to include the Bootpatcher program. Where can I get it, or if it is inside the zip, what is it named?
    That's just a lame proggy I wrote for cutting the BIN file at a certain offset. It's the Binhack.exe. I'd edit the tutorial to contain the changed filename and the location for the tools, were the topic open.
    By the way, if there's any sort of pattern that could be identified for removing intros, the functionality of that program could be extended.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't get it.
    Why is it disrespectful to call a crappy a software, a crappy software? I'm sure it could have been better, and it's not because there's nothing better atm that the software automatically becomes "good".

Thanks
    EP Points

Because Chankast is not crappy software, and the point made was disrespectful and well comparing it to C64 emulation? wtf. Now lets get back on topic and not into a bitching match.
    Last edited by Del_Boy; 23rd-December-2005 at 23:44.

Thanks

I was kinda joking...

Anyway, I don't see how an emulator that can play complex 3D code can NOT run a fairly simple homebrew intro...

Also, I don't see why Myst dislikes intros so much... They are often quite nice and have a LONG history. If somebody cracks copy protection and wants to advertise themselves a little why you should complain...