Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Games for Each System

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Top Games for Each System

First of all, I'd like wish to you all a Merry Christmas.
    I'm thinking it'd be a good idea that in each of EP's rom sections (console wise) we should have a list of Top 10 games for that system and short descriptions of them. Obviously, I haven't got the video game prowess and exposure that most of the people on our forums have to rate games for each and every system.
    It'd be nice if you guys could maybe put up a list of Top 10 games for any console/handheld/arcade system that you have most experience with (since that would put you in a good place to judge them..).

Also, on an unrelated note, I'm definitely looking for the best GBC games since I got this nifty GBC emulator for my Nokia Series-60 phone and the emulator runs at full speed, got some great sound support as well, so I'm looking to play some cool GBC titles in my free time.

For a reference list of what roms we have on offer, you can check:
    www.emuparadise.org/roms/romindex/index.php

I'd really appreciate any help on these lists that you can offer, and ofcourse you will see your names (with a link to your forums profile..) on the pages where your lists are put up, so that's a bit of an incentive. Post away :>

Thanks
    EP Points

Well here's my personal SNES top ten, only one RPG though. I can smell the controversy already!

1) Super Metroid
    2) Donkey Kong Country 2
    3) Super Mario World
    4) Chrono Trigger
    5) Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    6) Street Fighter II
    7) Flashback
    8) Super Mario Kart
    9) Top Gear
    10) Megaman X

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic
    Well here's my personal SNES top ten, only one RPG though. I can smell the controversy already!

1) Super Metroid
    2) Donkey Kong Country 2
    3) Super Mario World
    4) Chrono Trigger
    5) Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    6) Street Fighter II
    7) Flashback
    8) Super Mario Kart
    9) Top Gear
    10) Megaman X
    Lots of good games on it actually, except for the missing Super Bomberman 5

Thanks

We should first replace the game files on the site with files from the newest GoodSet. I know I ran stuff through Good Tools once and tons of them came up as either overdumps or affirmative bad dumps.

Thanks

Genesis/Megadrive top ten:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (The very first video game that was release worldwide on the same day. Adding "Tails" to the game, with two-player support, and better music makes this game a winner).
    Thunder Force IV (Known as the best Genesis shoot 'em up ever made. Misspelled "Lightening Force" in the US, TF IV was really a classic. With very cool level designs, fast action, great soundtrack, and great controls, TF IV is really the MUST PLAY Genesis shoot 'em up!)
    Ranger X (This game wasn't even advertise by Sega of America, but they release here in the US. This game is very, very unknow. One really good game, plus this game I believe went over the 64 color mark to 128 colors per second! Some of the best level designs and soundtrack you will find on the Genesis)
    Gunstar Heroes (Treasure's first game and it became a classic. It uses a little of Contra and build it on that. With weapon mixing, fun levels, and very very cool 3D areas, Gunstar Heroes became a classic, but the problem was no one purchase it!)
    Shinobi III (The sequel to "The Revenge of Shinobi," Shinobi III was a lot better than the first game. Music improves, and the best part, Gameplay improves. Joe (the ninja guy) can now do more cool moves like jump off walls, homing kick on somebody and more. Just play it, you will like it)
    Streets of Rage II (A better sequel to Streets of Rage one, number II has new gameplay freatures, and imporve graphics and music. The music, OMG the best for the Genesis system)
    Phantasy Star II (When talking about RPGs, many RPG fans would said that Phantasy Star II was one of the best for the Genesis. I can't agree on that becuase I simply didn't play it)
    Shining Force (A lot of people also love Shining Force for the Genesis, I can't agree becuase I didn't play it)
    Rocket Knight Adventures (The best Konami title for the Genesis, this was something new from Konami. You're a Knight and you have a rocket that you can fly in, and use it to attack your foes (which are bunch of pigs). Everything with this game is simply great, try it out!)
    Sonic and Knuckles (The Lock-On freature on the cart added more replay vaule to Sonic 2 and 3 now becuase you can play Knuckles in these games. Also in Sonic and Knuckles are left over levels of Sonic 3, try them out)

Some of these games came from my top ten favorite Genesis games, and some of these games (the RPGs) fan favorite games.

Sega CD/Mega CD

Snatcher
    (Kojima's famous game before MGS. Groundbreaking voice acting of the early 1990s, and one of the best storylines in years. The ending is just simply one of my favorite endings of all time, A MUST PLAY)
    Robo Aleste (No FMV crap, just pure shoot 'em up action. The sequel to MUSHA, Robo Aleste uses some things from its first game and changes some things around. The redbook track is just simply, wow!)
    Sonic CD (Japanese version) (Sonic is now on CD, with 60+ levels and Metal Sonic! The US version has its soundtrack change to something different. I perfer the Japanese soundtrack over the US one)
    Lunar 1 (One of the best RPGs for the Sega CD)
    Final Fight CD (you want a better port of Final Fight, then play the Sega CD version. Guy is in it, two players, and no slowdowns than that horrible SNES version, plus the great redbook audio)
    Popful Mail (Action RPG goodness at best, Working Designs did a good job with this title)
    Silpheed (The only game on the Sega CD that uses Polygons, and my god it was good. A great shoot 'em up with a lot of action, this shouldn't be missed.)
    Shining Force CD (The Game Gear Shining Foce games comes on the Sega CD, and my goodness it was great)
    Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side (One hell of a fighting game, and also the only Sega CD game that was able to push for 256 colors on screen)
    AH3 Thunderstrike (This game uses what the Sega CD hardware has to offer. A lot of scaling and rotation are in the game)

I didn't explain some things enough, but I'm kind-of lazy.
    Last edited by Fighter17; 24th-December-2005 at 18:52.
    Helping people with emulation problems.

Thanks

GBA
    Riviera
    Pokemon
    Fire Emblem: SS
    Fire Emblem: BS

P.S. Zombies Ate My Neighbors ROCKS!

Thanks
    EP Points

We need a longer list for the GBA obviously. And these systems are there too:
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    CPS1
    CPS2
    Gameboy Color
    Modeler
    N64
    NeoGeo
    NeoGeo Pocket
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    PSX (atleast a top 3 from the ones we have available ?)
    Raine
    Sega 32x
    Sega Master System
    Sega Saturn
    Zinc

Obviously if you can't make a top 10 (what if a system really sucks ? =P), a top 3 would be a good idea too!

Mikey_ Guest

i can list 10 favorite games for diff systems, but in no real order. i don't like to choose favorites among, my favorites lol

SNES:
    1. chrono trigger
    2. final fantasy 3
    3. donkey kong country 2
    4. super mario rpg
    5. mortal kombat 2
    6. super street fighter 2
    7. super mario world
    8. super mario all stars
    9. yoshi's island
    10. legend of zelda 3

n64:
    1. wwf no mercy
    2. legend of zelda ocarina of time
    3. paper mario
    4. wcw/nwo revenge
    thats my n64 list. sorry mas j, but i didn't have many favorites on that system

gamecube:
    1. resident evil 4
    2. super smash brothers melee
    3. resident evil 1
    4. luigi's mansion
    5. wwe day of reckoning
    6. legend of zelda wind waker
    7. crash tag team racing
    this is my gc list. sorry its not a top 10, but i couldn't list anymore that i could consider a favorite

sega dreamcast:
    1. marvel vs capcom 2
    2. resident evil code veronica
    3. dead or alive
    4. soul calibur
    5. jet grind radio
    6. looney tunes space race
    7. street fighter alpha 3
    8. sonic adventure 1
    9. grandia 2
    10. power stone 2

sony playstation:
    1. final fantasy 7
    2. final fantasy 9
    3. suikoden 2
    4. mortal kombat trilogy
    5. street fighter alpha 3
    6. castlevania symphony of the night
    7. resident evil 2
    8. resident evil 3 nemesis
    9. metal gear solid
    10. dino crisis 2

PC:
    1. medal of honor allied assault
    2. MOHAA spearhead
    3. x-men legends 2 rise of the apocalypse
    4. legacy of kain defiance
    5. lego star wars
    6. half life 2
    7. doom 3
    8. call of duty
    9. call of duty 2
    10. teenage mutant ninja turtles 2

sony playstation 2:
    1. final fantasy 10
    2. king kong
    3. wwf smackdown just bring it (the one where booker t 1st made his appearance)
    4. resident evil 4
    5. dragonball z budokai 3
    6. dragonball z budokai tenkaichi
    7. kingdom hearts
    8. grand theft auto vice city
    9. devil may cry 1
    10. metal gear solid 2

arcade (cps...whatever lol):
    1. xmen vs street fighter
    2. marvel vs capcom
    3. marvel super heroes vs street fighter
    4. the simpsons (4 player)
    5. aliens vs predator (co-op)
    6. marvel super heroes
    7. street fighter alpha 1
    8. street fighter alpha 2
    9. street fighter alpha 3
    10. super gem fighters
    as you can tell i loved 2d capcom fighters
    Last edited by Mikey_; 25th-December-2005 at 09:04.

Thanks
    EP Points

my top ten + 1:
    Lunar: EB, Street FIghter II, Sonic the Hedgehog, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star 2 & 4, Shining Force, Eternal Champions, Final Fantasy II & III, Zombies Ate my neighbors.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wow, no one made a Top 10 for the Nintendo 64 ? Very sad.. =P.
    I don't think it's that difficult, there were plenty of good games there.
    What about GBC/GBA/NES ? Guys, we need more help here!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    Genesis/Megadrive top ten:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (The very first video game that was release worldwide on the same day. Adding "Tails" to the game, with two-player support, and better music makes this game a winner).
    Thunder Force IV (Known as the best Genesis shoot 'em up ever made. Misspelled "Lightening Force" in the US, TF IV was really a classic. With very cool level designs, fast action, great soundtrack, and great controls, TF IV is really the MUST PLAY Genesis shoot 'em up!)
    Ranger X (This game wasn't even advertise by Sega of America, but they release here in the US. This game is very, very unknow. One really good game, plus this game I believe went over the 64 color mark to 128 colors per second! Some of the best level designs and soundtrack you will find on the Genesis)
    Gunstar Heroes (Treasure's first game and it became a classic. It uses a little of Contra and build it on that. With weapon mixing, fun levels, and very very cool 3D areas, Gunstar Heroes became a classic, but the problem was no one purchase it!)
    Shinobi III (The sequel to "The Revenge of Shinobi," Shinobi III was a lot better than the first game. Music improves, and the best part, Gameplay improves. Joe (the ninja guy) can now do more cool moves like jump off walls, homing kick on somebody and more. Just play it, you will like it)
    Streets of Rage II (A better sequel to Streets of Rage one, number II has new gameplay freatures, and imporve graphics and music. The music, OMG the best for the Genesis system)
    Phantasy Star II (When talking about RPGs, many RPG fans would said that Phantasy Star II was one of the best for the Genesis. I can't agree on that becuase I simply didn't play it)
    Shining Force (A lot of people also love Shining Force for the Genesis, I can't agree becuase I didn't play it)
    Rocket Knight Adventures (The best Konami title for the Genesis, this was something new from Konami. You're a Knight and you have a rocket that you can fly in, and use it to attack your foes (which are bunch of pigs). Everything with this game is simply great, try it out!)
    Sonic and Knuckles (The Lock-On freature on the cart added more replay vaule to Sonic 2 and 3 now becuase you can play Knuckles in these games. Also in Sonic and Knuckles are left over levels of Sonic 3, try them out)
    Pretty good, but I can't believe u left out PSIV and I think Sparkster should replace Rocket Knight Adventures. Well, I'll have my lists soon, I hope.

EDIT:
    Alright here's my Megadrive Top 10 list. It's not very good, but decent enough.
    1. Gunstar Heroes: Surely you haven't experienced the greatness of the Genesis without playing this excellent platformer. The quest of the Gunstars presents awesome graphics, nice music, and fun galore!
    2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Again, another great platformer. So many new features make this game quite addicting. Humongous levels, tons of secrets, great music, and supersonic speed make it a must-play.
    3. Thunder Force IV: The sidescolling shooter is incomparable. Excellent graphics, unforgettable music, nice weapons, just pure greatness. It's very hard to deny its superiority to many games.
    4. Alien Soldier: A rather obscure game that confirms the great quality of Treasure. It takes sidescrolling shooters to a whole new level. Great graphics, nice sci-fi storyline, excellent battle system. Try it!
    5. Phantasy Star IV: One of the best RPGs of all time. This epic quest takes you across many huge dungeons, exhibits an excellent battle system, and has great music and cutscenes.
    6. Sonic 2: The precursor to Sonic 3 & Knuckles does not disappoint. Large levels, with many routes, and great music. The two-player mode is also excellent. A defining game in the Sonic series!
    7. Shining Force: A Fire Emblem look-alike with a nice epic story and many characters. The music is unforgettable and the game does not disappoint. You have not experienced the Shining series if you have not played this game.
    8. Phantasy Star II: A predecessor of Phantasy Star IV that truly was a pioneer in RPGs at the time it was made. Huge dungeons and worlds, sophisticated battle system and good music. Great RPG.
    9. Streets of Rage 2: A beat-'em-up sidescroller that does not compare to any other Genesis game of the genre. Great music, many combos, addicting gameplay, and great two-player support. Awesome.
    10. Vectorman 2: A weird platformer that is great in every aspect. Many mini-games, powerups, and secrets. Great graphics and music. You'll definitely be looking for more, once you beat it.
    Last edited by aclors; 27th-December-2005 at 23:15.

ryusei Guest

Nintendo 64
    1) The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time
    2) The Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask
    3) Super Mario 64
    4) Mario Party
    5)Perfect Dark
    6)Conker's Bad Fur Day
    7)WWF No Mercy
    8)Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
    9)Goldeneye 007
    10) Donkey Kong 64
    Last edited by ryusei; 29th-December-2005 at 21:32.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aclors
    Pretty good, but I can't believe u left out PSIV and I think Sparkster should replace Rocket Knight Adventures. Well, I'll have my lists soon, I hope.

EDIT:
    Alright here's my Megadrive Top 10 list. It's not very good, but decent enough.
    1. Gunstar Heroes: Surely you haven't experienced the greatness of the Genesis without playing this excellent platformer. The quest of the Gunstars presents awesome graphics, nice music, and fun galore!
    2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Again, another great platformer. So many new features make this game quite addicting. Humongous levels, tons of secrets, great music, and supersonic speed make it a must-play.
    3. Thunder Force IV: The sidescolling shooter is incomparable. Excellent graphics, unforgettable music, nice weapons, just pure greatness. It's very hard to deny its superiority to many games.
    4. Alien Soldier: A rather obscure game that confirms the great quality of Treasure. It takes sidescrolling shooters to a whole new level. Great graphics, nice sci-fi storyline, excellent battle system. Try it!
    5. Phantasy Star IV: One of the best RPGs of all time. This epic quest takes you across many huge dungeons, exhibits an excellent battle system, and has great music and cutscenes.
    6. Sonic 2: The precursor to Sonic 3 & Knuckles does not disappoint. Large levels, with many routes, and great music. The two-player mode is also excellent. A defining game in the Sonic series!
    7. Shining Force: A Fire Emblem look-alike with a nice epic story and many characters. The music is unforgettable and the game does not disappoint. You have not experienced the Shining series if you have not played this game.
    8. Phantasy Star II: A predecessor of Phantasy Star IV that truly was a pioneer in RPGs at the time it was made. Huge dungeons and worlds, sophisticated battle system and good music. Great RPG.
    9. Streets of Rage 2: A beat-'em-up sidescroller that does not compare to any other Genesis game of the genre. Great music, many combos, addicting gameplay, and great two-player support. Awesome.
    10. Vectorman 2: A weird platformer that is great in every aspect. Many mini-games, powerups, and secrets. Great graphics and music. You'll definitely be looking for more, once you beat it.

A lot of pepole love PSII more than IV, so that's why it's on the list. A lot of people (like me) love Rocket Knight Adventures more than Sparkster, so that's why it's on the list and not Sparkster. Alien Soldier and Vectorman 2 are good picks, but for me these two games are not on my top ten favorite game list (but both are still good. ).

Thanks

As far as these top 10's are concerned, is it going to be done through voting or what?

As far as Sega CD is concerned, I think both Dark Wizard and Dracula Unleashed should be on there. I'll chime in with some more of anymore organization comes about.

Quote Originally Posted by MasJ
    Also, on an unrelated note, I'm definitely looking for the best GBC games since I got this nifty GBC emulator for my Nokia Series-60 phone and the emulator runs at full speed, got some great sound support as well, so I'm looking to play some cool GBC titles in my free time.
    Look for any of those gameboy Zelda games. They are pretty much the only games I ever bothered with on Gameboy or Gameboy Color. Also just for regular gameboy are the 5 Mega Man titles...pretty fun, although not as good as on NES.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    As far as these top 10's are concerned, is it going to be done through voting or what?

As far as Sega CD is concerned, I think both Dark Wizard and Dracula Unleashed should be on there. I'll chime in with some more of anymore organization comes about.

Look for any of those gameboy Zelda games. They are pretty much the only games I ever bothered with on Gameboy or Gameboy Color. Also just for regular gameboy are the 5 Mega Man titles...pretty fun, although not as good as on NES.
    Dracula Unleashed wasn't popular enough to be on the list. Many people like Dark Wizard, but the US version had its music remixed, but I didn't play the game to give any judgement on it (mostly because I hate RPGs). I'll have to think about it.

Read here: http://www.eidolons-inn.net/segabase...se-SegaCD.html

Look at their top ten list.
    Last edited by Fighter17; 29th-December-2005 at 23:22.