Thread: hardware questions

Thanks

Default hardware questions

I have 2 questions.

1. My sis has an intel made graphics card and it has the same memory as mine but when we play WoW(World of Warcraft) her computer is slow and choppy. Mine used to be the same way with my NVIDIA one but after I tweaked the setting down and updated the drivers it was fine. I did almost everything but update the drivers to my sis's comp that I did to mine but it didn't help I can't update the drivers cause the ones I found on intel's website were older than what she had. It should also be noted that I went to blizzards customer support page and tried everything there to fix the prob and it didn't help. Its not just WoW btw most applications are slower and almost all games/movies are choppy. Does she have a faulty card or is it just a shitty one? Any suggestions would help.

lol I know that was a long one but

2. I see there is a new proccessor out by intel with dual core technology or whatever its called. I'm curious as to whether anyone knows how it compares to the old pentium 4s. Is 2.8ghz with the dual core faster and better for games than a 3.2ghz pentium 4?
    Life's always funny till it happens to you.

Thanks

1. Umm, what model card was that again? It sounds more like an integrated GPU. If it is just a card, then buy a new one.
    Anything would be an improvement.

2. Prolly won't improve much unless the program was made to take full advantage of the dual core CPU.
    My Trade List (Updated: Jan 24, 2007). Now Taking Requests.

This is teh Intarwebz...We care not for Copyrights!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    1. Umm, what model card was that again? It sounds more like an integrated GPU. If it is just a card, then buy a new one.
    Anything would be an improvement.

2. Prolly won't improve much unless the program was made to take full advantage of the dual core CPU.
    Yes. It sounds like an integrated onboard GPU.

It also depends on the processor speed. Is your processor and your sis's processor the same ?? (with regards to speed). Also, when you said most of the applications too are slower on your sis's comp, its quite a possibility that her PC is infected with spywares/viruses, etc, etc. Run a full system scan with Spybot S&D and remove all the spyware that might be on your sis's comp, which is slowing it down.

Also, do tell us which antivirus program you are using, coz Norton or McAfee are shitty antivirus programs, consuming lots of Ram for nothing

I would recommend you to download AVG Free Edition. Its awesome. I used to have Norton but removed it on Polobunny's advice and my comp started running TWICE AS FAST

Do all that and post here if you see any improvement

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

lets see, my sis has a 2.2ghz proccessor and mine is a 2.4 I'm using mcafee antivirus right but she doesn't have mcafee or norton to my knowledge, and we both use spysweeper to get rid of adware/spyware. as to whether its intergrated or not, I don't know for sure but i think it is. I'll see about scaning for viruses but I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any.

Thanks

Quick question until polo arrives: Did you install a video card into the PC when you got it? Also, if you can give us the exact name of the card we could find out more for you.

Secondly, a dual core will pretty much own any single core at the moment in terms of raw processing power. but the real difference wont be felt until more programs are made to take full advantage of it. Look into getting into AMD's if you are thinking about upgrading.

Edit: To find out your vid card, right-click on your desktop, click properties, then go to the settings tab. The name will be right there.

Thanks

Actually...Dual Core isn't particularly hot for this generation of games. As it's just like a pair of physical CPU's, the speed doesn't 'stack' so to speak. For example, if you had two Pentium III 1Ghz CPU's on a motherboard, it's still not going to be anywhere NEAR as fast as a CPU that runs at 2Ghz. So DualCore is the same.
    An Athlon 64 X2 4000 is *not* twice as fast as an Athlon 64 4000. I use AMD as an example cause their dual core implementation is faster, I personally have no allegience. Right now the fastest CPU's for gaming are still single core (Athlon FX 57, I think is still crowning champion). Dual Core IS great for things like video editing, ripping DVD's and multitasking though.

Emissary of Light, Cure Black~! Emissary of Light, Cure White~!

We are Pretty Cure!
    Servant of the Dark Power...
    Return to the darkess from which you came!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa
    An Athlon 64 X2 4000 is *not* twice as fast as an Athlon 64 4000. I use AMD as an example cause their dual core implementation is faster, I personally have no allegience. Right now the fastest CPU's for gaming are still single core (Athlon FX 57, I think is still crowning champion). Dual Core IS great for things like video editing, ripping DVD's and multitasking though.
    Quote Originally Posted by malice2501
    in terms of raw processing power. but the real difference wont be felt until more programs are made to take full advantage of it
    Last edited by malice2501; 9th-January-2006 at 13:12.

Thanks

sorry it took so long to get back but the ful name of the chip is

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller

I do not know if there is a video chip installed or not as I didn't purchase it my mom did

about amd. I looked at some of them but most dont' say how fast they are in ghz in there names like intel's does, but I will look into it as they seem to be consistantly cheaper.

Thanks

yeah, thats definantly intergrated graphics. All dells either have PCI Express or just a PCI slot (varies by model).

Thanks

Where did he say he has a Dell PC?

But thats definetly Integrated graphics.
    Who made your PC?

It prolly dosen't have PCI-E, but it might have an AGP slot. If so, you can just put another video card in there. No big deal....

Thanks

hmm, this is true. I assumed since it said intel that it was a dell. point is, find out what kind of slot you have, buy a card, stick it in.

Edit: *winks at woodman*
    Last edited by malice2501; 11th-January-2006 at 14:22.

Thanks

Yes it is a dell, I was suprised he guessed it so easily lol. I tried taking a video card out of a pc that broke not to far back but she didn't have the right kind of slot for me to put it in. I suppose we will have to get a new one...

Thanks
    EP Points

AMD 64
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...E10248,00.html

AMD FX-55 and 57
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...5_9488,00.html

AMD X2
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13041,00.html

To note that even if they're frequency might seem low they are really fast.

My favorite cpu of the moment is the Pentium 3.46Ghx Extreme edition. This thing can go up to 5Ghz on air.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malice2501
    hmm, this is true. I assumed since it said intel that it was a dell. point is, find out what kind of slot you have, buy a card, stick it in.
    You -REPed me for that? Wow....your petty.....

Oh well, good guess.... as he did actually have a dell....