Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC Upgrade Help

Thanks

now we are not discussing which gfx card is the best
    so lets help this nice person here:

replacing ur 256mb ram with 512mb/1gb, whatever u feel is appropriate
    if ur hdd (primary) is ata-100 try uping to ata-133 or even sata (by using a pci host controller) 10,000 rpm if u feel the need for loud noises while posting on EP

investigate the oc-ing capabilities and try to optimise ur cpu-ram speeds cause that 2ghz would have a low fsb
    ur ram is 266mhz so u could up that to 300/333 mhz if u r lucky and mess about wit the cpu fsb.

any qs?
    survival kit:
    1x dell axim x51-v
    1x 1GB CF
    >1024kb wi-fi connection
    ((((((((((((((�)))))))))))))))

Thanks

Well, there is one major concern about overclocking. He mentioned that he has a dell. Every dell I have ever dealt with had all overclocking functions locked in bios. You would most likely need a new motherboard and a new case since most dell motherboards use propriatory mounting systems. Upgrading a video card and ram will make for a good temporary solution until you have amassed the funds for either a complete overhaul or a new system (recommended). Get some good ram-PC3200 if your system will support it since you will be able to use it in most new systems and a cheap video card (like GeForce FX5200 through FX5700) since you will probably need to get a new one for PCI-Express on a new system. While a secondary hard drive won't do much to up your system's performance, they are very easy to transfer between pc's. Start saving for that AMD64 system

--CWX

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    Fx5700
    Radeon 9200
    Radeon8500/radeon 9100

WTF
    Radeon 9250 128bit 128mb is DirectX 8.1 while an FX5700 128mb is DirectX 9. The Fx5700 is overall 125% more powerful than the Radeon 9250, too.

Also lol, there's alot of other errors. 850 at the best??

Here's a good chart BTW.
    http://forums.emuparadise.org/showthread.php?t=42377
    Accurate one.
    Yes, the 5xxx fx series by nVidia has dx9 shaders. HOWEVER, they are unimaginably slow. The Geforce4 series are all faster than their corresponding geforce5 counterparts. At that low of a performance level, having dx9 shaders instead of dx8.1 means almost nothing. Sure, with the fx5700 you can run a game in dx9....but it'll be a slideshow.
    Also, i'm sure in synthetic benchmarks, the 5700 might be faster than a 9200, but in real world they will be very similar. THe only reason the 5700 would get more...say 3d marks, would be beacuse the lack of dx9 support would give the 9200/gf4ti a zero in tests needing dx9 shaders. BUt in real world that won't matter because the 5700 won't have enough speed to run dx9 games.

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>

Thanks

"dell motherboards use propriatory mounting systems"

what's that?
    survival kit:
    1x dell axim x51-v
    1x 1GB CF
    >1024kb wi-fi connection

Thanks

All of the Dell systems that I've worked with have the motherboard mounted in such a way that the motherboard is either permanently attached to a mounting bracket or the case is set up in such a way that it won't fit other motherboards in their cases or use their motherboards in 3rd party cases.

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CWarriorX
    All of the Dell systems that I've worked with have the motherboard mounted in such a way that the motherboard is either permanently attached to a mounting bracket or the case is set up in such a way that it won't fit other motherboards in their cases or use their motherboards in 3rd party cases.
    When's the last time you worked with a Dell? My dell uses a standard uATX motherboard. In fact, my emachines, my compaq, and my dell all use standard uATX motherboards. In fact, two of my friends have bought retail motherboards and put them in their OEM computers. Proprietary components in desktops are a thing of the past (last time I had a proprietary mobo in a desktop was my HP purchased in '98)

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>

Thanks

I guess that shows how long its been since I've worked with a Dell. My opinion of them has gone up a bit (not nearly enough to buy one myself ).

Thanks

hmm...
    sounds like ur average multimillion corporation to me
    survival kit:
    1x dell axim x51-v
    1x 1GB CF
    >1024kb wi-fi connection