Thread: What's a bio?

FlameDangerJame Guest

Default What's a bio?

Why do I need a BIO to run a PSX emulator?

Thanks

1 . it's a BIOS

2. it's needed because a real psx has some kind of BIOS too so in order to emulate it fine it needed a BIOS so that the game thinks you play it on a real psx.
    meh

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

You know, the hardware alone won't make a console. You actually need a software that can comunicate with the hardware. That is the BIOS' function. The emulator emulate the hardware, but you still need a BIOS.

I think I got that right...

trelimb Guest

Originally posted by crusher
    You know, the hardware alone won't make a console. You actually need a software that can comunicate with the hardware. That is the BIOS' function. The emulator emulate the hardware, but you still need a BIOS.

I think I got that right...
    That's about my understanding of it as well. Very well said crusher.

I'll just add that this may beg the question of why the emulators don't just include the bios like other emulators (for nes snes genesis atari and the like). I could be wrong but I think the reason is to keep it leagle. Sony has a copyright on the bios so if the emulator programmers wanted to include a bios and were going to stay leagle they would have to create their own bios. That's right isn't it?

Then again, vgs has a bios included. Did connectix make their own bios?

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's legal issues. And I highly doubt that Connectix made their own BIOS but I dunno.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ok, Connectix allegedly used Sony's PSX bios, which is why they were sued to oblivion, and the product pulled of the market.
    As for systems such as Snes, GB and the like, I was under the impression that most emulators for those also emulated the bios, rather then including the official bios. I may be wrong. That said, I've downloaded all my emulators for older systems from Zophar, and they do not host official bios with thier emulators. Seeing as I've never had to download an Snes, Genesis, GB, GG, or Atari system bios for those emulators, I'd be led to believe that at least those emulated the bios.

But heh, I'd wait for someone who knows what they are talking about, such as Del_Boy to chime in, since I really have no clue. I'm just going by what I remember hearing.

Thanks

but you can still download Connectix at certain places but you can't buy it anymore...right?
    meh

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Of course. In fact, there's been alot of work on VGS by it's fans, and much of it has resulted in a very improved version of what Connectix initially put out on the market.

Thanks

cool

Thanks

Then SONY purchased the rights to VGS and they were thinking of including it on the PS2 (reducing the cost of PSOne hardware, replacing it with the emulator)...

I dunno what happened to that issue, though...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Originally posted by Winged Weasel
    cool
    Hey, just to letcha know, we have a policy against one word posts. Try not to do it again mano, or it'll be worth two warning points. Just a friendly warning.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 3rd-October-2003 at 17:04.

trelimb Guest

Originally posted by Cyberxion
    Ok, Connectix allegedly used Sony's PSX bios, which is why they were sued to oblivion, and the product pulled of the market.
    As for systems such as Snes, GB and the like, I was under the impression that most emulators for those also emulated the bios, rather then including the official bios. I may be wrong. That said, I've downloaded all my emulators for older systems from Zophar, and they do not host official bios with thier emulators. Seeing as I've never had to download an Snes, Genesis, GB, GG, or Atari system bios for those emulators, I'd be led to believe that at least those emulated the bios.

But heh, I'd wait for someone who knows what they are talking about, such as Del_Boy to chime in, since I really have no clue. I'm just going by what I remember hearing.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the emulators for older systems have their own bios that are not the official bios. That's what I was trying to say earlier is that those emulators don't need a separate bios image because the programmers made their own. I could still be wrong however.
    That is interesting about connetix. What types of improvements have been made to it by fans?

RU - I thought sony purchased the rights to vgs just so that connectix couldn't sell it anymore. Although we do know that emulator programmers are helping with the PS3 so maybe there was a plan like you were saying. I am pretty sure the main motivation was along the lines of "this company must be stopped so we'll just buy the software from them to stop them" though.

Thanks

True... But look what happened to Bleem!

I don't think there was ever an option to buy it from the authors...

In a related note, can someone send me a link to download a recent version of VGS?
    I want to try it... I tested an old version not too long ago and it sucked big time, so I deleted it... :\

Thanks

Originally posted by Ru
    True... But look what happened to Bleem!

I don't think there was ever an option to buy it from the authors...

In a related note, can someone send me a link to download a recent version of VGS?
    I want to try it... I tested an old version not too long ago and it sucked big time, so I deleted it... :\
    I saw Bleem a couple of times in some stores here in Rotterdam so there was an option to buy but it sucked so thats why I never wanna spend money on it( epsxe and VGS are much better)

and you can find VGS here
    meh