Thread: Over clocking your processor

Ecocide Guest

Default Over clocking your processor

I read on a pc world magazine that you can over clock your processer speed. Like for example, if it's a 1.1GHz AMD Athlon Processor, you can make it 1.5GHz. I didn't finish reading how to do it because the magazine wasn't mine so does anyone know how to over clock the processor?

-edit-

By the way, I have a 1.1GHz AMD Athlon Processor.

Shadowrider Guest

your processor i believe is not locked for the multiplier, so you can actually modify this.
    there are many ways to oc your cpu.
    one way is to modify FSB or multiplier, or you can actually set them straight from the jumpers.

1) the first thing you should have would probably to have a good cooling system. air cooling generally won't get you too much oc'ing, but you can do water cooling if extreme.

2) after that, from bios you can try increasing the fsb or the multiplier little by little until your system finally won't even start.

well...for me personally, i like less FSB with more multiplier.

Thanks

Okay from your previous post as well in Computer Specs.

Get an extra 256MB of ram.
    DON'T OVERCLOCK unless you can afford to buy a new computer if something goes wrong.
    gf2/4mx or NV5200 would suit you fine.

Thanks

Yeah, I would leave the processor alone.
    Yes, it does shorten the lifespan of a cpu if you overclock it.

If your still intrested in overclocking DONOT over clock you fsb or a Voltage mod. Only do a multiplier overclocking on the cpu. I don't know what kind of amd chip ur running but if it's an old one you might have to unlock it using the old penicl trick.

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Thanks
    EP Points

Actually, most of the time, it's better not overclocking since the performance gain really isn't that hard hitting, but if you still want to try it out, it's not really dangerous as such, since overclocking a processor generally shortens the life span of a processor from 20 years to around 5 years, but then, if you're going to be stuck at 1.1Ghz 5 years from now.. well, that'll be silly, won't it ?

You might need to do the "pencil trick" on your processor, since the trick was applicable to most Thunderbirds and Athlon XP's uptil the 1800+. I suppose yours is an AMD Thunderbird, since it's @ 1.1Ghz. The pencil trick is ONLY required if you want to change the multiplier of your processor.

See, basically, there are two "speeds" of a processor, one is called the Internal clock speed, and the other is called the External Multiplier. The product of these two, gives the ACTUAL speed of your processor. So basically, the processor runs at the speed of your system bus, which gets multiplied by a particular number to give the actual speed. Thus, your processor, if, an Athlon XP like mine @ say, 1733Mhz would have an internal speed of 133Mhz multiplied with an external multiplier of 13.0
    Well, you can change the multiplier using the pencil trick, OR you can change the internal speed by up'ing the FSB.
    The FSB can be changed from your system BIOS (most of the time..) so try playing around with it, if you want to up the processor speed. But only go one step at a time, since you're making all the components of your PC run at a higher speed, it depends on the quality of ALL the respective components (Video Card, Memory, Hard drive.. etc.). So try upping it bit by bit and load testing it...
    Basically, to shorten this explanation, find an overclocking site (too many around to list) and just follow it up from there
    But take everyone's warnings (earlier in this thread), pretty seriously