Thread: Linux OS Help

Thanks

Default Linux OS Help

Can someone tell me the name of a Linux distribution that is really good? I'm probably just gonna stay away from MS, and just need a little kick start.

So can anyone tell me a good one? I'm looking for one that is security enhanced, and has really good hardware compatability (ie Drivers, etc). Not to mention a GUI... It would be really great if this happened... I would give you a 5 vote and probably a little something else... *bribe*

Thanks,
    NeoZidane52

Thanks

That depends.. Are you talking about downloading this??? That would be considered warez. If you are talking about wanting to buy this.. Then i cant help you. Ive actually been looking to buy it myself.

Thanks

Linux OSs are always free. They have to be, or the law is sicked on them
    Unless it's one of those "Buy this and get *so and so* features!" things...

USA, the best damm place in the world, always and forever
    Thanks

SuSE is the best.

PM me if you want to know where to download it, or you can goto officemax and buy the boxed set

www.PacificMods.com

Selling modchip installation services, premodified consoles, and other cool stuff. Low costs and high quality products and services.

Thanks

Thank you for the help

I will look into where to dowload it, and see what all it can do.

Thank you again!
    NeoZidane52

Thanks
    EP Points

Try mandrake, it has great hardwrae support and is easy to install and get running. Oh and it has a free ISO dl too unlike suse *grumble*
    www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 [click the second "Now" to get to the dl page]

Ace Guest

Easy, usefriendly:

www.mandrake.com
    www.redhat.com

Harder, very secure, lots of reading:

www.debian.org

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey Ace, have you tried mandrake 9.2 yet?

Shadowrider Guest

i haven't tried mandrake 9.2, but what i've heard from people, it's got some problems with driver instability (..or should i say incompatibility..)
    it's weird, afaik, mandrake was always the easiest one to recognize hardware devices.
    but again, this might not be the case for everybody. maybe people with older spec should try something like debian (which as ace mentions, very good for security and stability-->and that's the reason why they don't have the latest unstable build)

Ace Guest

Originally posted by torpedo009
    Hey Ace, have you tried mandrake 9.2 yet?
    Still running 9.1, works great .

Thanks

i've always been a suse fan. it includes so much stuff that i don't have 2 use my sucky 56k modem 2 get software

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by Shadowrider
    i haven't tried mandrake 9.2, but what i've heard from people, it's got some problems with driver instability (..or should i say incompatibility..)
    it's weird, afaik, mandrake was always the easiest one to recognize hardware devices.
    but again, this might not be the case for everybody. maybe people with older spec should try something like debian (which as ace mentions, very good for security and stability-->and that's the reason why they don't have the latest unstable build)
    Yep thats case, tried it but it had all those bugs in it so I downgraded to 9.1. Oh and the developers haven't included the kernel-source in 9.2

Ace Guest

Originally posted by madcrow
    i've always been a suse fan. it includes so much stuff that i don't have 2 use my sucky 56k modem 2 get software
    Ehmm you haven't seen Debian have you? o.O 7 cds......