Thread: Some BIG problems on a little Laptop...

Thanks

Default Some BIG problems on a little Laptop...

First of all, I guess I should give the specs of tis baby.

Model: AMS SoundPro
    486 Processor (50mhtz)
    32mb ram
    WDC Video (2mb of video ram)
    350(ish) HDD
    has video out, 2 serial, one paralel, ps/2, one slot for a card, floppy, and one external scrugie(sp? I think that's what it is, it looks like a printer connection, but longer...)

My problems:

1. My floppy header is bad. It won't accept any disks I feed it. I either need to get the header reconfigured or get anew one. It's flatter than a normal floppy, anywhere i can get one cheap?

2. My hard drive became corrupt. I think I may need a converter so I can put it on my PC and run Spin Rite.

3. I lost the origional power cord, and the battery is dead, and it costs over $100 to replace it. I found replacement ac/dc power, but they were around $40-50.

That's all..... Thanks way in advance.

Thanks

Dude...Old Sk00l!

Anyway, the best things to do is the following
    1: Buy a whole new floppy disk drive for your lappy. It might not be cheap, but by the sounds of it, you're running a 5 1/4 inch floppy there, and they ain't much good for anything anymore...except archiving...but I don't think your doing that...
    2: Hard disk is corrupt, so you'll have to buy the converter. I'm not sure about where you can stuff like that in USA, but Radio Shack (I think thats what its called...) might have what you are looking for
    3: New power cable is the best option, but if you are looking to use this lappy on the run, then you'll have to shell out for a new battery. You could always ask around for a second hand one that still works, but you best bet is a whole new one...

Hope this helps...

Thanks

Actually, I'm using the standard 3 1/2, 1.44 mb, It's just a bit flatter than the PC version of a 3 1/2. Sorry I didn't specify that earlier

Thanks

A bit flatter...?

I've never heard of one of them before...
    Still, if its the same size and everything, you might be able to pick up a used one for cheap from somewhere.

Thanks

All it has, for connection, is a tiny ribbon that connects to the mobo. obviously you haven't worked with laptops alot, lol.

Thanks

i had problems like this with an old 386 laptop. as i have access to a better old laptop for doing stuff like playing dos games (P70, 40MB RAM, w00t), i just ditched it. frankly, i reccomend that u do the same.

Thanks

I bought a nice converter for it off of e-bay and once I find the link I'll give it to you.

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...705791891&rd=1
    Last edited by Xaenn; 7th-September-2004 at 15:49.

Thanks

lol, I haven't worked with many lappies, but the ones I have worked with have had a ribbon that can be removed from both the motherboard and the floppy disk and hard disk. It was an old 386 old though, maybe they changed it all around when they built the 486 motherboards.