Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC++ Guide

Thanks
    EP Points

Default DC++ Guide

My short guide to DC.

What is Direct Connect?
    Direct Connect is a way for users to share files over the internet with other users. The users conenct to things called hubs.

What is a hub?
    A hub acts as a router that users connect to. It's not a server because it does not share any of the files itself.

Operators? (People with the key (May not be a key for other clients. I use DC++) infront of thier name)
    These are the people who maintain the hub, and uphold the rules. Don't piss them off... OR THEY'LL BAN YOU

Setting up DC++.

-General
    Download the installer from http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/ and select a stable release from the left side of the site. Install it to whatever directory, run it and the setup screen should appear automatically as this is the first time you have used it. First thing it asks for is your nick, email, description (Of the files you share). Fill these in and then select your connection type so people know what speeds to expect from you.
    Now, onto active and passive mode. If you don't have a firewall or a router, then use active mode. It allows you to connect to other active users and passive users. If you have a firewall or router, then select passive mode. With passive mode selected you cannot connect to other passive users. Only use passive mode if you have to.

-Downloads
    Select downloads from the left side of the settings window. Select which folder you would like as your default download directory. Leave the unfinished downloads directory blank, or you may choose another directory.
    In the limits section, change the maximum simultaneous downloads limit. I have mine on 3, but change yours to whatever suits you. And for the "new downloads if speed exceeds blah blah blah" this is also upto you.
    Where it says "Public hub list URL" copy and paste this into it:

http://www.neo-modus.com/PublicHubList.config

When you press CTRL + P, the list of hubs will refresh, then you just need to search for the hub you want, using the filter function.

-Sharing
    For the EP hub you will need to share atleast 5 GB of stuff. Click add folder and select the folders you wish to share (Your rom folders in this case).
    The amount of upload slots is the amount of people that can be downloading from you at a time. This depends on your upload bandwith, if you have 56k I suggest just 1 upload slot. But once again it's upto you.

-Appearance
    You can change the appearance of DC++ here. It's not necessary as the defualt appearance looks alright, but go ahead and change it if you want. Check the minimze to tray if you don't like cluttering up the task bar.

-Logs and Sound
    Again, not necessary to change it, just leave it if you want to.

-Advanced
    These are just extra features like auto-away on minimize and stuff.

Using DC++
    Once you've set it all up, you'll want to connect to the EP hub, to do so, bring up the favourite hubs window by clicking the yellow star at the top or by pressing CTRL + F. Once the window comes up, click new and fill in the hub address and name.

Name: Name of the hub.
    Address: Hubs address.
    Description: Just say what the hub shares. Not needed though.

Ok, so you're in. To start downloading stuff, just go to the user list at the right side of the program, right click the name of the persons you want to download from, and select "get file list" (Picture 1). You will begin to download the file list of the user, once done it will list the users files. Now all you have to do is browse through and see what you want, when you find it, double-click it and it will start downloading. (Picture 2)

Picture 1.

Picture 2.

The search feature is quite snazzy. Not as snazzy as me, but almost. What you do is press CTRL + S and it will bring up the search function. Type in what you want and it will list all the files matching your query. Use this instead of the "hey does anyone have [insertromnameorisonamehere]" line. Say that in chat and I'll reply with "Use the serach function you lazy bastard." or something along those lines.

Pretty snazzy, right?
    Last edited by Deach; 10th-November-2004 at 15:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

Pretty good guide there Deach.
    Maybe you should include a screenshot for connecting to the EP hub and then getting someone's list too . That'd make this complete in every respect.

Thanks
    EP Points

Done.

Maybe this and the other thread should be sticked so they don't get lost?

Thanks

*/Stickies.
    I completed the internetz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

People having troubles setting up their clients in active mode because of their firewall or router may want to check this site, it contains a good FAQ on how to set it up properly. I hope it helps

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc#4

Thanks
    EP Points

Also worth noting, when you give a file folder a nickname be sure not to use a "/" in it, it totally messes with DC++, I had this problem 2 nights ago, no one could DL a file from a nicknamed folder with a "/" in the nickname...

Thanks

Does this thing have a 'resume download' function or something similar?

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah you can set a folder for unfinished downloads and will continue when you come back or need to resume.

Thanks

You rock Deach!

Thanks

Default active/passive mode problem

Ok..it is only working for me under passive mode..i only have the windows xp sp 2 firewall and DC is in the list of exceptions..and i'm not under any router, i do have a wireless network for my Xbox to be hooked up to Xbox live, but my computer is connected to the net via a cable..so can anyone give me advice on what to do to be able to use active mode? i already checked out the faq about configuring the firewall, router, etc, but am still having no luck. any help appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Have you tried to open manually a port (both TCP & UDP) in your firewall?
    check this http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308127
    and then http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6518 the part where it talks about SP2
    Default ports for DC++ are 1411 and 1412.

Thanks

Yes, i have opened those ports under TCP and UDP and i looked in the instruction book for my Microsoft G Wireless Base Station but did not find anything regarding forwarding ports or whatever. DC++ is in the list of exceptions in the Windows firewall, so i don't get it. And like i said, my computer is online via a cable, not a wireless connection..have any idea what i need to do?

Thanks

Does the manual instruct you on how to get to the control panel of your router? When you get there, just look for port forwarding or virtual server there.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I've tried that, nothing like that exists. BTW, thanks for the Cradle cd : )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rando310
    I've tried that, nothing like that exists. BTW, thanks for the Cradle cd : )
    You're welcome

You might chech www.portforward.com it has plenty of guides for various routers, it might include yours as well.
    Have you seen me before?