Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The emule questions thread

trelimb Guest

Default The emule questions thread.

With the popularity in emule seen on the boards recently, I thought it would be good to have a thread about how it works and what the different settings are for. This can be the place to ask questions about how to decide what settings to use and such. I really hope this doesn't become filled with posts like "my download is too slow" or "why does this suck so much?". If a mod feels that this thread doesn't belong here or that people are using this thread to complain, then just delete it.

To start out, I have a question.

Ok, I read the info I could find on the emule site but I am still confused about the setting "capacities" found in the connections part of the preferences. What exactly does this do? I understand the limits setting right next to it but haven't figured out the "capacities" one.

Thanks

Capacities changes the maximum values for the upload/download graphs on the Statistics page.
    -Mason Gray: Less vowels, same great consonant taste.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pretty sweet. I have a question: how does a user become banned while in the queue?

Thanks

Examples of how to get banned:

-Setting the reask-parameter of your client lower then 10 minutes.
    -Setting your downloads to pause and resume to increase your download speed regularly, which will result in a new filer equest every time (eDonkey clients only).
    -Restarting your client every 2 minutes (which will also result in a new request).
    Last edited by Mason; 21st-September-2003 at 22:18.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ahh.... thus far, 25 people have been banned from my queue. I was hoping it wasn't something I did. Thank God it's not. You're a fountain of information, Maison.

Thanks

Nah, definately not something you were doing. Just some overzealous people tinkering with their clients in an attempt to get faster speeds.

Glad I could help though, I've been using the program nearly since it's inception so I'm very familiar with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

There is an excellent FAQ for Emule at the official site, which is well worth reading through: http://www.emule-project.net/faq/start.htm

trelimb Guest

Jonathan Harker - glad to see that you like the thread.
    Del_Boy - that is very true. I suggest that people try to learn from the faq before they post in here.

And now, my next question.

I the priority settings when you set it to auto, sometimes it chooses "no" as the setting. The other settings are pretty self explanitory but what does "no" mean? Is it like "you will never...." or is it like saying it's just kind of indifferent as if it decided "I don't know"?

Thanks

For the downloads section, the priority is eMule's source seeking for that file. 'Hi' means it's doing a lot of source seeking relative to other files, 'Lo' means it's doing less. 'No' means it's not searching for new sources at all. Generally your client will set it to 'No' once it's filled up it's limit for sources, and switch it back to 'Lo' or 'Hi' if it ends up needing any more.

Thanks

Why does emule config wizard put less max sources (200) when you choose 6-15 files then if you choose 1-5 (300)?

sig and avatar by Nightingale.
    "Tengo un nudo en la garganta" (un ahorcado).
    "Levantare a los ca�dos y oprimir� a los grandes" (el sost�n).
    "Cuando te fuiste me dejaste un sabor amargo en la boca" (Monica Lewinski).
    "Se me fue la mano" (Mazinger Z)

Thanks

It's because eMule will be doing source seeking for each file. i.e. 5 files * 300 sources = 1500 total vs 15 files * 200 sources = 3000 total. The more sources it has to track down, the slower your internet connection will be. When you start to get more than about 3000 sources total it'll basically kill your connection with the overhead required to maintain the existing sources and track down new ones.

trelimb Guest

I have a new question.

Ok, I know that Emule uses a credit/ranking system but I was wondering if anyone knows if it uses the cumulative ratio or the session ratio or both to determine how fast you get files? If it's both, do you know which one is weighed heavier? I like to know how stuff works.

Thanks

It uses niether. The way your credit file works is it keeps track of people who have uploaded to you (which person and how much they've transferred). So if a person who has uploaded to you before wants to download something from you they'll be in your credit file and therefore get a priority download compared to everyone else.

The credit file doesn't keep track of what you've uploaded to other people for one very important reason: Any files on your computer can be hacked by you and you could give yourself an insanely high credit value with everyone. Therefore only the Stats page keeps track of your download/upload ratios, it's not actually used to determine if you're more likely to get your files faster.

Thanks

I just installed the program and i'm downloading some games but

1. is there a way to make the downloads faster or must I just wait until the the queue line is over and it's my turn to download?

2. how can I reduce the maximum uploads?

3. If I close down my computer and after a few I hours I start downloading again, Must I wait in the queue line again all over again?
    meh

Thanks

1. dunno. I just wait cause my computer is always on.
    2. go to preferences>connection. You can limit your download and upload speed there. I don't think you can limit how many at the same time though. I'm usually uploading to 4-5 people always.
    3. I believe so, but if you were uploading to a user before .. you get credit for that which will help you climb the queu for him, although not others.

Now my question, lol. I didn't find this in the faq.
    I know what the colours mean in the progress bar, but what do they mean in the search>dl part? I know red is what you are currently downloading, and I am guessing the blue's are ones you haven't downloaded but have more sources?... err or something, what do they all mean there. Black, light&dark blue, green..