Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School

Thanks
    EP Points

Trust me, as soon as you leave school you'll miss it. After my GCSEs I went to college to study A levels and spent the entire two years wishing I'd stayed on at school and gone into the 6th form instead.

If you're anything like me your final year of high school will rule so hard.
    Last edited by Cosmic; 3rd-March-2008 at 22:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

yes,it sucks,it's a waste of time,I hated it,they just stuff your brain with useless shit that doesn't apply in the real world.
    I vote for a total obliteration of the current educational system and the implantation of a "garden"-based system like in ff8,and each garden would specialize in something. if you like electronics,go to the electronics garden. if you like literature,go to the literature garden,and so on.
    ¿you want to learn something?,ok,go to the "garden" where they teach you that and they let you practice that and not ten other craps that you don't give a shit about and are useless for you anyway. (as in "they won't bore you to hell teaching useless maths in the literature "garden",or teaching literature in the maths "garden").
    nothing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justhelpmepleas View Post
    I didn't like going to school too much when I went, but I don't think it's a waste of time.
    same here..lol.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pelger View Post
    yes,it sucks,it's a waste of time,I hated it,they just stuff your brain with useless shit that doesn't apply in the real world.
    I vote for a total obliteration of the current educational system and the implantation of a "garden"-based system like in ff8,and each garden would specialize in something. if you like electronics,go to the electronics garden. if you like literature,go to the literature garden,and so on.
    ¿you want to learn something?,ok,go to the "garden" where they teach you that and they let you practice that and not ten other craps that you don't give a shit about and are useless for you anyway. (as in "they won't bore you to hell teaching useless maths in the literature "garden",or teaching literature in the maths "garden").
    Ever heard of a University?

Thanks

I absolutely hated high school. Not that I was miserable there, I had a pretty good time socially, but I couldn't stand the required assignments. If you already get the damn subject, you shouldn't have to do hours of pointless work on it. That, on top of the fact that half my teachers were complete idiots. I have to say, when I learned the girls volleyball coach was my College Prep english teacher, I was pretty upset

That's why I love college 3.8 GPA at the moment, hoping to get into University of Michigan in a couple years on scholarships. Hoping being the keyword.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

Drop out of school and start hustling!

Maybe you will become the new 50 cent!
    Hooray the American dream DDDDDDDDDDDDDd

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Kruthas View Post
    That's why I love college 3.8 GPA at the moment, hoping to get into University of Michigan in a couple years on scholarships. Hoping being the keyword.
    Why Michigan? Go to Louisville. It's happening here.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

I hated the lack of continuity between my grade school, middle school, high school, community college...seriously, how many times do I have to take Algebra I or Spanish I... and wtf is up with teaching kids Basic? Most useless computer language--unless you want to print your name an infinite number of times on the screen.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin View Post
    I hated the lack of continuity between my grade school, middle school, high school, community college...seriously, how many times do I have to take Algebra I or Spanish I... and wtf is up with teaching kids Basic? Most useless computer language--unless you want to print your name an infinite number of times on the screen.
    BASIC was hot when I was 12.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ahkei View Post
    BASIC was hot when I was 12.
    That's because when you're 12, it's cool to make the screen fill up as it scrolls forever, at least it does until you hit CTRL-Break.

Thanks
    EP Points

Basic knowledge of BASIC really helps in creating programs for TI calculators. I have made literally hundreds of little programs for my TI-83+ SE. My TI-89 on the other hand, I can barely do 2+2 on it.

Thanks

Yeah Basic was cool back then but php seems the best right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dom3mo View Post
    Yeah Basic was cool back then but php seems the best right now.
    Congratulations. You do not understand the subject you are talking about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    Congratulations. You do not understand the subject you are talking about.
    Wooh I win!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ever heard of a University?
    yep,but the problem is you are stuck with "generic school" before you get to learn what you really want.
    and over here,(I'm in uruguay),university teaches the subject it's supposed to teach only in "classic" stuff like "laws" "medicine" "architecture" "psychology" etc,if you go to the computer science university because you want to be a programmer or whatever,they bore you to death 4 of the 5 years with maths and physics,and when you get to touch a computer,THEY TEACH YOU TURBO PASCAL 5.0.
    man...that's why the public university is losing people very fast and private ones are gaining momentum: the private ones teach you c and c++,oop,java,php,stuff you can use to actually work programming or administrating systems or whatever.
    it obious to me that whoever designed the public university course in programming and computer science,doesn't know a shit about it and/or it was made in the 80s (in the best case scenario...probably the 70s and then they added "the latest",turbo pascal,in the 80s) and people in charge don't know it's obsolete and bloated.
    I mean,4 years of maths and phsyicis and turbo pascal on the fifth year?.
    I bet the guys in charge still think in 50s or 60s terms about computers: "oh,the stuff they do at nasa,obiously they need lots of maths and physics!".

by the way,I'm talking about that kind of math that's useless,like doing the analysis of a function,learning theorems like bolzano,lagrange,rolle,couchi (I don't know if that's the right spelling...it's been a long time since I've read something about the subject),learning how to derive a function and then derive the first derivated (?,I don't know "maths in english",I'm guessing the terms) in order to get the second derivated,studying the limits of a function,and blah blah blah. now,I can't think of a single use of deriving a function (other than getting the angular quotient of the tangent,but then again,I can't think of a single use for that anyway). if anybody knows about a use for that kind of maths either in computers or in the real world,please tell me.

ps: ha,almost forgot,something that's not obious for people that doesn't live here: the public university is the "official one" and is the more prestigious one and it's some kind of myth or taboo that "it's better" and "it's the only one that counts",private universities appeared only a few years ago,and people still think about them as "fake" or "they don't count" or "you'll never get a job if you go to a private one". older people think like that because of a life-time "indoctrination" of "the public university is the only one that exists" and in recent years "yes,there are new private ones,but they don't count and they are fake anyway". the problem is people in charge in companies tend to think like that too,so if you have a degree from a private university,it doesn't matter that you have the skills for the job because they taught you the right stuff (instead of bloated and obsolete maths): if there's a candidate for the job with the same degree but from the public university,the person will get it for sure,no matter the fact that that person won't know how to handle the job anyway.
    I've heard of people with a title in "computers engineering" that were called for tech support and they stared at the broken "computer" and tryed to turn it on AND IT WAS JUST A MONITOR AND A KEYBOARD AND IT WAS MISSING THE CASE,or,actually,THE COMPUTER ITSELF WAS MISSING,AND THE GUYS DIDN'T NOTICE.
    sure,the public university is good if you want to be a lawyer or a doctor in medicine or an architect,but if you want to do something "modern",you're screwed. and nobody notices because either nobody knows or nobody cares about it,and people who cares,just go away from this country ruled by old and ignorant people.

edit: it's hard to convince older people about this,the brainwash they have about "the public university is the only one that counts" is big,they don't believe times changed or that young people can now anything. an example: my parents don't believe me what the public university teaches is not fit for the careers you are supposed to be learning,(programmer,system administrator,etc. they use "contemporary names" for the titles,but they teach stuff that has nothing to do with them). they say stuff like "whoever designed it,knows what he's doing" or "if they teach that,it must be for some good reason" or "they prepare you better than the private ones,those teach you nothing" and they don't understand it's obiously the opposite.
    (heh,they must think about computers in terms of the 60s too,"ooh,obiously you need a lot of maths to do that thing they do at nasa",even considering I've been using PCs since I was 6 years old and they have seen it working,and I didn't need to analyse funcions in order to find out if it's continious or whatever).
    by the way,I'm a "técnico en pc",("pc technician"),I have the title from a private institute that's not "in the same league" as an university,but they teach careers,not only in computers,in business management and other stuff to. (there are lots of that kind of institutes), and I'm supposed to be a "tech support guy" (bleh,considering what they taught me,I was already when I was 8 or 9 ),I'm supposed to build or repair pcs and setting up networks and that stuff,and I say "I'm supposed" because it's hard to get a job in the computer business,the fact that the government says officialy "there is a 0% of unemployement in the computer sector" is a big brotherish lie. every time I go to a job interview related to computers,there are other 10 guys besides me taking the interview for the job.
    ha,it's hard to get a "mac job" anyway... (every year more and more young people emigrate. I said before "this is a country ruled by old and ignorant people". well,I should add "FOR old people too").
    Last edited by thx4allthefish; 5th-March-2008 at 04:12.
    nothing