Thread: AGP 8x/4x settings not saving.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Well these are the official drivers so it can't be them if no one else is reporting the same problem with HL2(I've read through dozens of google search result pages)

Like I said I deleted the entire Steam content on my PC and downloaded everything anew and it still happened. It did not happen with my Radeon when I switched back to it periodically and back again to the Nvidia(prior to formatting, but if I go uninstall the Nvidia and back to my Radeon again I know it'll work just fine), so it has to be the card's fault or some setting on my PC/card that is prohibiting the card from drawing the models properly, not a Steam problem...

Fast writes are off on my v-card(which is ideal as they only give problems). Should I try disabling the 256bit pipeline or sideband addressing options? Is that something safe to do? Don't want to risk burning anything up if I set an option the card/mobo doesn't support, but I have no idea what these options really do.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    Well these are the official drivers so it can't be them if no one else is reporting the same problem with HL2(I've read through dozens of google search result pages)

Like I said I deleted the entire Steam content on my PC and downloaded everything anew and it still happened. It did not happen with my Radeon when I switched back to it periodically and back again to the Nvidia(prior to formatting, but if I go uninstall the Nvidia and back to my Radeon again I know it'll work just fine), so it has to be the card's fault or some setting on my PC/card that is prohibiting the card from drawing the models properly, not a Steam problem...

Fast writes are off on my v-card(which is ideal as they only give problems). Should I try disabling the 256bit pipeline or sideband addressing options? Is that something safe to do? Don't want to risk burning anything up if I set an option the card/mobo doesn't support, but I have no idea what these options really do.
    nah I wouldn't try it. I meant try just deleting th cab file and leave everything else there, it worked one time before for some guy at hardocp even after a complete steam reinstallation.

Also, your swapping back forth between cards? That may be it actually be the problem. Have you done this since your formatted? if so, boot in safe mode and run this

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Tell it to remove ALL ATi drivers/software.

I officially have no idea what the problem is since its just half life based games giving you problems.... You could try contacting nvidia about it.

EDIT - wait, I wonder how hot the memory on your card is getting. Have you tried fitting ramsinks on there?
    Last edited by Panda Man; 30th-July-2007 at 14:57.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    Also, your swapping back forth between cards? That may be it actually be the problem. Have you done this since your formatted?
    Nope nope nope, not at all, after formatting I didn't go back and forth between cards, just installed the new card nice and clean. And I did do the card swaps appropriately anyway before formating by uninstalling all the previous driver stuff and running DriverCleaner Pro in safe mode, I'm assuming that's the link you posted).

I'll try the cab file thing, but was he getting the same errors I am getting? I don't think it's going to solve it as -before formatting- going back to my Radeon 9000 fixed the problem, while the Nvidia card still had the problems even when running at the same low settings that I had to run with my 9000(and I also tried forcing every dx level to no avail). Will do this and post back later.

Thanks
    EP Points

Nope nope nope, not at all, after formatting I didn't go back and forth between cards, just installed the new card nice and clean. And I did do the card swaps appropriately anyway before formating by uninstalling all the previous driver stuff and running DriverCleaner Pro in safe mode, I'm assuming that's the link you posted).

I'll try the cab file thing, but was he getting the same errors I am getting? I don't think it's going to solve it as -before formatting- going back to my Radeon 9000 fixed the problem, while the Nvidia card still had the problems even when running at the same low settings that I had to run with my 9000(and I also tried forcing every dx level to no avail). Will do this and post back later.
    similar, not exact.

You know just for the hell of it I'd RMA the card to make sure its not bad. eVGA right? They have awesome customer support.

Thanks

similar, not exact.

You know just for the hell of it I'd RMA the card to make sure its not bad. eVGA right? They have awesome customer support.
    No the manufacturer is Club 3D. I already exchanged this card once for another(the only other one they had). RMA stuff here is done through the retailers never directly with the manufacturer so I'm pretty much screwed... But I'm certain it's not defective as this is the 2nd card I've gotten. Gonna try deleting that thing now.

Edit: Umm, there are no .cab files whatsoever in my steam folder, I just searched...

Why shouldn't I try disabling SBA or 256bit pipeline depth? The card is very new compared to my mobo, maybe my mobo doesn't fully support these features?
    Last edited by Soeru; 30th-July-2007 at 15:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

Edit: Umm, there are no .cab files whatsoever in my steam folder, I just searched...
    wtf? Wait that must have been the original HL then I guess. There should be another file in there that's the HL2 engine. File type starts with an s I think, it should be about a gig in size.

Also, have tried running any mods? Try the insurgency mod.

EDIT-
    Why shouldn't I try disabling SBA or 256bit pipeline depth? The card is very new compared to my mobo, maybe my mobo doesn't fully support these features?
    You can try it, I don't think it will damage the card/motherboard, but I would wait for polo's recommendation on that.

Thanks

wtf? Wait that must have been the original HL then I guess. There should be another file in there that's the HL2 engine. File type starts with an s I think, it should be about a gig in size.

Also, have tried running any mods? Try the insurgency mod.

EDIT-

You can try it, I don't think it will damage the card/motherboard, but I would wait for polo's recommendation on that.
    I only have EP1 that has Lost Coast and HL2DM, so I can't run Insurgency I think. That's what has put me off from getting Garry's mod because it requires Hl2 and/or CSS. :/

I pmed polo about this, hopefully he'll read it.